Chapter 8

Five minutes later, she blinked. Once, then twice. Her heart beat was slow, and irregular. Her breathing was shallow and ragged. The Demon gazed down at her, a malevolent smile painted on his face, clearly pleased with whatever damage he had caused to her. He lifted her body, pale and cold, from the ground and set her on the bed.

Her eyes rolled around in their sockets, and she fell into a deep, restless sleep.

She woke up five minutes away from dinner, and sat up slowly. With a blank look on her face, she walked to the door, waiting for the agent that would escort her to dinner. The door opened to reveal the Demon. Valley's eyes widened and she backed away slowly. He grabbed her shoulder and led her to the dining room the same way he had the first day she saw him. Not even a day ago. Time passed slowly, she'd only been here for two days.

Valley took her seat next to Cedric, and leaned against him, closing her eyes. He gently brushed his thumb against her bottom lip. His eyes widened as he watched every agonizing minute of her memories.

"I swear to God, I am going to kill that Demon," Cedric vowed, pulling a silent, blank Valley to him, hiding her face in his shoulder. He brushed his hands through her hair, and glared at the Demon on the other side of the room.

"What happened?"

"Did he-"

"He sucked out part of her soul. The encounter psychologically scarred her. She nearly died in the process. She's lucky to be alive," Cedric's voice quieted to a whisper. Valley was shivering-no-shuddering. Cedric gently lifted her head to his, and met her blue eyes with his own.

"Shhh. Valley, calm down. Val, I promise, no one and nothing is going to ever hurt you when you're with me. I swear," Cedric looked into her eyes, blue as ever, wide, innocent and trusting, and she nodded.

"I'm sorry, Valley. If it helps, they moved the assembly to Thursday. That's three days from now."

"Can Valley even complete the plan in her state? She may be a liability. We need to l-"

"Noah. Shut the heck up. I'm not leaving Valley."

"Valley and Cedric were planning an escape from Day 1. If Valley doesn't come, I'm not going."

"I'm not leaving without Erica and Jennette."

"I'm not leaving without Trent."

"Fine."