Chapter 9

Cedric gave her the note, and then Valley was escorted back to her room by the Demon. She went to her bed, and curled into a ball on it, staring at the floor. The door closed, and locked. Still in her defensive position, Valley read the note.

Valley,

I'm sorry about today. I want you to know that I'm not going to leave without you. And if the choice comes down to one of us living and the other dying, I'm never going to pick me. I'll always pick you. I want you to pick yourself as well.

I promise I'll get you out of here alive. I'm never going to leave you behind, or distance myself from you. If you stay, I'll stay. If you go, I'll go.

I love you more than I should, Val.

-C

Valley relaxed a bit, and settled for daydreaming about escaping this prison. Escaping the Demon. Escaping the people who think she's insane.

Valley opened her eyes the next morning, realizing she had fallen asleep. She stood, and looked at her face in the mirror.

Her lips were cold and blue. Her eyes were bloodshot, and her complexion was pale and sickly. Her hair was still thick, and stood off of her head. She flattened it, and watched it spring back up.

Three days to go, she thought. Then she dressed, and sat on the bed.

The Demon opened the door, and escorted Valley to the dining room, all the while trying to freak her out by brushing his fingertips against her bare arm. Valley caught images of herself and what the Demon did to her, and would shudder every time his cold skin touched hers. When they reached the dining room, she broke away from him, and walked as quickly as she could to her seat. Once there, Valley gave Cedric her note. 

Cedric,

The Demon doesn't know our plan. He thinks we're going to try to escape next Sunday, when all of the guards are gone for the day. If we don't let on about any plans at all, it will only confirm his suspicion.

I can't do what you ask of me. Life without you isn't life at all.

That one day, when we met, you felt that spark, right?

-V

P.S. I love you more than I need to.

Valley then laid her head on the table, not bothering to speak this morning. Cedric took her hand, and a little spark blew between them, comforting Valley. She relaxed enough to eat something to compensate for the past day. Then, still holding Cedric’s hand, she sat in her chair silently, listening to the others talk about their gifts. The Demon began to walk over to them.

“He’s going to take Valley back to her room,”Jennette whispered. Valley tensed, and her eyes widened with fear. Cedric murmured words of comfort, gently squeezing her hand.

“You’ll be okay, Val. If he hurts you, I’ll kill him.”

The Demon grabbed Valley’s wrist, and pulled her away from Cedric, before Cedric had the chance to hand her the note he had.