5.8

The sleek audi that Steve was driving pulled into the driveway of a nice cabin by the water. I couldn't help but think how nice and peacful it must be here to be so far away from the world. We all got out of the car, my fiance fixing her ombre braid. I liked her hair like this too with the blonde at the end and all the red growing in.

"Hey, Tony." I greeted the man I hadn't seen in five years. Tony nodded his head in greeting, plopping down on one of the chairs on the deck. He didn't look too thrilled about the conversation that was about to happen.

I zoned out during Scott's entire explanation of his plan, bouncing my leg up and down while I fiddled with the widow necklace to keep my fingers busy.

"Now, we know what it sounds like..." Scott trailed off and I zoned back in.

"Tony, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?" Natasha asked sinking her teeth into her bottom lip, one of the nervous habits of hers.

Starks sighed, pouring himself some tea, "Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck Scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition. Can we agree on that?"

"Anyone want some tea?" He asked, holding the pitcher up. I nodded, both Steve and I thanking him when he handed us our drinks.

"In dumb dumb terms, it means you're not coming home." Tony shook his head.

"I did." Scott grinned so wide I thought his tongue was going to fall out of his mouth. This man reminded me so much of a puppy.

Stark huffed, "No, you accidentally survived. It's a billion to one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull off a... What do you call it?"

Scott, who was trying to hide his pride, said, "A time heist?"

"Yeah, a time heist. Of course, why didn't we think of this before? Oh, because it's laughable? Because it's a pipedream?" Tony laughed, bringing his tea to his lips.

"The Stones are in the past. We can go back and get them." Steve said heavily.

Natasha nodded, looking at Steve and then back at Tony, "We can snap our own fingers. We can bring everyone back."

"Or screw it up worse than he already has, right?" I mumbled, speaking for the first time since we got here.

Steve looked over at me, having heard what I said, "I don't believe we would."

I let out a small sigh, taking a sip of my tea so I wouldn't say something I would regret. Yes, I was scared. What if we all fucked up this time? What if by trying to save the world (again) that we just fucked it up even worse than the god who did? What if we lost more people trying to save some.

Tony sucked his teeth, "Gotta say, sometimes I miss that giddy optimism. However, high hopes won't help if there's no logical, tangible way for me to safely execute said time heist. I believe the most likely outcome would be our collective demise."

"Not if we strictly follow the rules of time travel. That means no talking to our past selves, no betting on sporting events -"

"I'm gonna stop you right there, Scott. Are you seriously telling me that your plan to save the universe is based on Back To The Future?" Tony gave the man a puzzled look.

"No." Scott stammered, choking on his embarrassment.

"Good." Tony hummed, "You had me worried there. 'Cause that'd be horse shit. That's not how quantum physics works."

"Tony... We have to take a stand." Natasha said softly.

"We did stand. And yet, here we are." Stark shook his head, narrowing his eyes at Steve and then shooting me a glance.