Havana (Part 1)

08/01/2014
I was packing and sighed dramatically. Today we would take a plane to go to Havana. I had been really excited about this until my parents announced Shawn's family was coming too. So having to tolerate him all the year was not enough, I also had to see him during the summer. It sucked. But we didn't really have the choice.

"Come on mija we have to be in the car in 30 minutes I don't get why you're packing just now!"

My mom's voice sounded a little bit angry but I didn't really care. They could force me to do that but I wasn't going to make their life simpler. I really wanted to miss the flight but I knew it definitely wasn't nice for my family to do that. And even if I couldn't stand the idea to spend vacations with Shawn, I liked his family and didn't want them to be disappointed.

"I'm almost done don't worry mama." I said the most neutral possible.

***

So we're in Cuba. It wasn't my first time actually, I would go visit my Cuban family almost every summer. But it definitely not felt like usual. Mines and Shawn's parents rented a house in the center of the capital, my grandma's house not big enough to welcome the guests. But it was a nice house with a swimming pool and a really beautiful view on the city. Especially the night. The only issue was the number of bedrooms. There were four and I naively thought at the beginning that I would share one with my little sister, but Sofia was determined to sleep with Aaliyah. We were in the middle of a fight right now.

"No way Sofia I just don't care. You will be already spending most of your time with her along the day, you're not going to die if you don't sleep with her!"

"But it's different!" She claimed.

She made her puppy eyes and I sighed. Shawn and Aaliyah were sitting on the couch enjoying the show we were giving. He didn't even seem to be bothered by the idea to share a room with me.

"I- Okay I guess but you definitely owe me one!" I responded with a fake serious look.

I just loved my 6 years old sister and it was hard for me to refuse her anything. She hugged me with excitement and run toward their bedroom with Aaliyah. I shook my head and also went upstairs to start unpacking. I could hear Shawn behind me when I opened my suitcase. The room was simple. There were two simple beds, two dressers and a desk. But there wasn't a bathroom so I just figured that we will share the one in the girl's room. He sat on the bed and the glance I made at him let me know that he was on his phone.

"I don't even know why you're taking the news that well."

"What news?" He asked without leaving his eyes from his phone.

"That we're sharing a room idiot."

" Oh. I kinda guessed that Sofia and Aaliyah would clearly want to sleep together so I'm not surprised."

I nodded even though I knew he wouldn't see it and started to pick my clothes. Shawn eventually left to room. When I was done, I made my way to the roof which was accessible and sat down to admire the view. We could the sea in the distance and the sun began to set. It was beautiful. I heard someone clearing his throat and smiled at my dad when I turned my head. He sat next to me.

"I have always loved Cuba. Of course Mexico is my favorite place to be but... Cuba- Havana is special." He says.

"I totally agree. I hope it will be a good stay."

We stood silent for a few minute and he put his hand on my shoulder.

"Mi amor, it would be really nice of you if you try to get along with Shawn. I know you two haven't the nicest relationship but it really means to me. I want these holidays to be perfect."