Chapter 16: Out Standing

She always loved storms,
Maybe that was why she fell in love with the hurricane in his eyes.

She always loved storms,Maybe that was why she fell in love with the hurricane in his eyes

[ TW: brief mentions of an eating disorder ]

A N N A B E T H

So, I think Brittany has a problem with me.

At least, that was what everyone seemed to keep saying. Louisa, two random girls in the bathroom, the odd looks that I got from some members of the cheerleading squad- just stuff in general.

In all honesty, to me, it hadn't seemed like that at all.

While there had been an incident where she screamed at this one guy on the football team because he was harassing her project partner- Greg Hawkins- she hadn't outright done anything horrible to me.

Now, that might have been because James was always around- especially even more now, after my little accident. But a greater part of me was convinced that maybe that wasn't true either.

I had seen the incident with the football player go down though, and good Lord was she scary. 

...But it was for a good cause, I guess? And maybe she wasn't as bad as everyone thought she was?

As I continue to ponder over it, taking my own sweet time at my temporary locker, I hear the clicking of high-heeled shoes. 

And lo behold, the very same person was currently walking my way, her head tilted down and towards the floor.

I brace myself, just in case this was it. The ultimate showdown or whatever like all those movies.

I already had my best comebacks ready at hand in case she tried to be mean to me: no, u.

That'll show her. It'll even go down in the history books.

I hold my breath, ready to say it-

-but she just walks right past me.

The first thing I do when I'm sure she's gone is sigh in relief. 

Because goodness me, although I had a comeback ready, I'd probably pee my pants before I got a word out. 

Confrontations, especially mean ones, were not it for me, no ma'am.

The second thing I do is stare after her.

Her shoulders were slumped, and she looked like she was hurrying in the direction of the bathroom. She hardly seemed as intimidating as usual- and none of her friends were around. That was surprising considering they were always together.

Okay. It's none of my business. Absolutely none of my concern.

I was just going to pretend I never saw anything happen. I was going to spin on my heel and be on my merry way.