Chapter 5

Jotaro sat in the taxi with a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of white wine, he knew Molly preferred white to red. He looked at the passing scenery, the people and the houses flashing by. He hated to admit it, but it was a fact. He was nervous, though he'd never let it show. It was ironic, that a man who had stared death itself in the eyes multiple times, was nervous about talking to a woman. Although it made perfect sense, since everyone knew he wasn't much of a talker and he was known for not being overly enthusiastic about the opposite sex.

But Molly was different. In Jotaro's eyes she could do no wrong, he was sure she was an angel in disguise (not much of a disguise really). With her he always felt comfortable talking, and he could listen to her voice for hours on end, even though most women would've been told to shut up. But not her, she was special. She was his first and only love, and he had never stopped loving her. And even though he thought that she would never be his again, he still had to see her again. He dared hope, even if just a little bit.

He was abruptly brought back to reality when the taxi driver announced that they had arrived at their destination. He paid and stepped out of the car, clutching the items in his hands a little tighter. He looked at the house that supposedly was Kakyoin's, for a second he wondered if this was her home too. He shrugged, quickly brushing those thoughts off. Guess he'd find out.

With slow steps he walked up to the door, knocking on it a little harder than necessary. Muffled voices could be heard from the inside and a pair of footsteps that were growing louder. Next thing he knew, the door flung open to reveal none other than Kakyoin answering the door. The disappointment could almost be seen on his face.

"Kakyoin" he said in his usual tone and offered the redhead a small nod.

"Ah Jotaro, I'm so glad you could make it" Kakyoin beamed at the taller male and gestured for him to come inside.

"Dinner is just about ready, so why don't we head straight to the kitchen" Kakyoin said and lead the way. Jotaro followed suit and was delighted to see Molly in the kitchen, so much so that the corners of his mouth quirked upwards slightly. She smiled sweetly when she noticed his arrival.

"Welcome, dinner will be served in a minute. Please sit down in the meantime" she said gleefully and pointed at the set table. Jotaro walked over to her and handed her the bottle and bouquet, which she accepted with a flushed face.

"Th-thank you, that's really nice of you" she said and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Jotaro hummed in approval and sat down at the table, accompanied by Kakyoin. A few minutes later Molly walked to the table and laid out a tray of tonkatsu and a pot of rice and various toppings.

"I know it's not your mother's cooking, but I got the recipe from her, so I suppose it's the next best" she said and shot Jotaro an apologetic smile. Of course she would remember that he liked his mother's cooking, and go through the trouble to get a recipe from her.

"I quite enjoy your cooking, whether it's my mother's recipe or not" he said with a softer voice than usual. It had been a good while since he last had a proper homemade meal. With rose tinted cheeks she joined her hands and mused a quiet "itadakimasu" and encouraged for the men to start eating, which they did with glee.

They ate and exchanged stories of what they'd been up to for the past five years, and once the white wine kicked in, they started reminiscing on their journey to Egypt. The lively conversation was cut off by Kakyoin's phone ringing.

"I have to take this, I won't be long" he said and got up to answer the phone and took the call to another room, leaving Molly and Jotaro by themselves. She glanced nervously at Jotaro from behind her lashes, she had forgotten how handsome he was without his hat on. He harkled and spoke

"So, are you and Kakyoin happy together?" he dared ask with a little help from the wine. Molly cocked her head to the side in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Jotaro sighed at her question and looked away.

"Good grief woman, you know what I mean" but when her face still remained a big question mark, he decided to elaborate.

"I had gramps look you up with Hermit Purple a couple months after I left. You were at an ultrasound scan with Kakyoin" he breathed deeply and continued

"So I suppose I should congratulate you. Motherhood always seemed to suit you" he said with a hint of bitterness in his tone. When she remained quiet for longer than he liked, he looked at her. She was staring right in front of her with a solemn look and tears rolling down her cheeks. Oh fuck, definitely not the reaction he was expecting.

"Is everything alri-" he started while getting up to comfort her, but was cut off when she abruptly stood up.

"I... I need to go" she said with a quiet, weak voice and stormed out of the house. Jotaro was left staring behind her dumbfounded. Kakyoin walked back into the kitchen, he had heard most of the conversation. With a heavy sigh he looked up at the visibly confused marine biologist.

"We're not together, and that baby, it... it wasn't mine" he muttered with a devastated look on his face.

Oh.

Oh.

Jotaro gulps, scared of what the answer to his next question was going to be.

"Was... Was it...?"

"Yes Jotaro, it was yours" he mused quietly.

I'm a father and I didn't even fucking know. But wait, what does he mean "was"?

Jotaro didn't have to voice his confusion this time, Kakyoin beat him to it.

"The baby was stillborn"

"What? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"Because, Jotaro, she didn't want you to know. She wanted to spare you from the sorrow she was forced to wallow in. And I swore not to tell you, but you need to know. If you intend to be part of her life again, you need to understand how much pain you've caused her. She's been through enough, I don't think she can handle you abandoning her again"

Fuck, he had fucked up. He should have been there, he should have been there for her and for their baby.

"Fuck" was all he could mutter while grabbing his hat and setting it on his head, pulling it over his face.

"I need to talk to her, I-I need to fix this somehow" he mumbled and Kakyoin looked at him, almost feeling bad for him.

"I don't think this is something you can fix, but you do need to talk to her. Her house is right next door" Kakyoin said and pinched the bridge of his nose with a deep sigh and continued

"But right now she needs some space. I suggest you come back in a couple of days" Jotaro nodded, she probably didn't want to see gim right now.

And he had some thinking to do too.