Is This The End Of The Line For Us?

Nakamura stood in front of the members as the first quarter had just ended, telling them the plan for the second quarter that she and Riko came up with. "The more data you have, the more accurate it is. Satsuki has more data on our senpais since they've been members an extra year longer. However, there's relatively less information on you two. Tetsuya is difficult to predict and there would be difficulty gathering data on Kagami-kun's playing style because he was in America. If there's anyone who can counter Momoi, it's you two. However, Touou will most likely predict that we will focus on them more this quarter, so I would say pick when you guys would do plays together. Tetsuya, I think you should decide when and Kagami-kun, make sure you stay calm during the game. If there isn't an opportunity, then work on supporting the senpais with screens."

Since Nakamura had warned Seirin beforehand about Momoi and her data analyzing skills, they weren't as unprepared as they would have been, but they were still surprised to see how accurate her predictions were. They were even more surprised though to find out that  Nakamura was the one that taught Momoi those skills. Just as Nakamura finished her sentence, the buzzer rang, signaling the end of the break. As the members got up from the bench, Riko made sure to encourage them before leaving.

"Give them hell, rookies!"

The second quarter began with Kuroko and Kagami immediately working together to pull off a play, which led them to score. Glad to see all hope wasn't lost, the game continued with Kagami running to jump and block when Nakamura and Riko both noticed something was wrong. Riko and Nakamura made eye contact as they both realized that Kagami's body was lower than usual when running, meaning his legs were still injured. Without saying a word, they nodded to each other as Riko told Koganei to start warming up and went to call for a member change while Nakamura grabbed the first aid kit. 

After pulling Kagami off the court, before he could complain about being subbed out, Nakamura asked him, "Your legs, they aren't healed completely, are they?" She was met with silence, letting out a sigh as it confirmed that they were right. "You're not sick and there's nothing wrong with you, so I won't make the Coach sub you out for the rest of the match, but I am going to tape your legs. Take your shoes off for me."

Taking her a few minutes to tape up his feet, Nakamura looked up to give Kagami a nod, telling him, "This should get you through the game." As she was putting everything back in the first aid kit, she could see Riko having an internal conflict with herself. Understanding where she was coming from, Nakamura wouldn't want to send out an injured player in the game, but they knew that they wouldn't be able to beat Touou Academy without Kagami. All Riko could do before subbing Kagami back in was apologize to him, telling him, "I'm not strong enough to draw out everyone's full potential, so I have to rely on you, even though you're injured. My own weakness pisses me off!"

Kagami could only make a weird face at what Riko was saying, not sure how to respond to that since it was his first time seeing that kind of side from her.

"What are you talking about? This isn't like you Coach. You make practice regimens, you scout, you give us instructions on the bench, and even massage and tape us. If anything, you do too much. You're the coach. You've got to at least come prepared for games. I mean, sending me off with an apology hardly amps me up for games, Ma'am."

Riko paused, taking in what he said before smirking and turning to tell him, "You're a brat, you idiot. Go get them!". Getting ready to head back on to the court, everyone was shocked to see a player sling his arm over Kagami, saying, "That's it, show some spirit, so you can entertain me a little."

"You bastard, Aomine!"

Touou seemed relieved that Aomine finally arrive while Seirin tensed up from his appearance, knowing it was going to get much harder to close the gap between the scores now. Removing himself from Kagami, Aomine turned to face Nakamura who was looking at him with a frown. Without saying anything, he walked up to her only to stare into her eyes. She could see surprise flash through his eyes, but there was also a hint of another emotion that flashed through. Before she could figure out what it was, Aomine had turned around to face his team when Touou's coach had told him that he was going to play in the quarter, despite there being less than a minute left and Touou having a ten point lead. 

Taking his outerwear off and tossing all his things on the bench, everyone in the stadium watched as both of the team's aces were being subbed in at the same time, excited to see how the match would come out. Nakamura bit her lip and frowned as she prayed that Kagami's injury wouldn't get worst as he was marking Aomine, but she knew that Kagami wouldn't come out unscathed. Her eyebrows only furrowed even more when seeing how the players were isolating the aces and could only watch with a heavy heart as Aomine and Kagami went one-on-one against each other. They continued to block each others' shots until the buzzer rang, indicating the end of the second quarter.

As everyone entered the locker room for their ten minute break, Nakamura went to the locker she used to grab the snack that Riko asked her to make as Riko pulled out her own container, telling the members that they did well with the first half of the game.

"Good work in the first half! I made you these so we can make our comeback in the second! They'll replenish your energy!"

The members could only look in disbelief when pulling off the cover of the container to see whole lemons be covered in honey.

"Slice them! We're always telling you to slice them!"

Everyone could only push the container away from their eye sight while Izuki had walked over to Mitobe to ask if he happened to make any. Pulling out her own container, Nakamura also told the members, "I also made some if anybody would like to try it." Everyone immediately started eating from the two containers, Hyuuga commenting, "Mitobe, Nakamura, I'm so glad you guys are on our team." Nakamura watched as Riko sulked in a corner, feeling sorry that nobody liked what she made but also amazed that someone had decided to use whole lemons. Looking at the container, she thought Riko couldn't be that bad of a cook when she thought about Momoi and her cooking. She shuddered as she remembered some of the bento lunches Momoi made for Aomine in middle school.

After everyone had their fill, Riko told her plan to the members for the second half of the game. Planning on benching Kuroko for the third quarter, she was surprised when he asked if he could play the entire second half. It was true that it would be difficult to deal with Aomine without Kuroko, but from what Izuki had observed during the game, his effectiveness has already dropped quite a bit. They couldn't afford to bench Kuroko in the first half but now that Aomine was here, it would only get harder to score. However, if Kuroko played for two consequetive halves, that meant that his misdirection wouldn't last until the end. While Riko tried to figure out what to do, Kagami had taken a lemon from Coach's container and shoved it into Kuroko's mouth, telling him, "Kuroko, just eat these on the bench, you idiot. You're the one who said you can't play basketball by yourself! Leave it to us!"

Nakamura also thought through both options and tried to consider which was better, but both options were risky. She had collected data on Touou but Aomine was the most unpredictable player for her as she couldn't collect much data on him, and him skipping matches didn't help. She could only assume from judging how Kise and Midorima had drastically improved when entering high school, Aomine had too. Making eye contact with Riko, she could only shrug her shoulders as no matter what option they picked, either would have major setbacks. 

After seeing Kagami tell Kuroko to rely on the team more, Riko decided that Kuroko would take a break during the third quarter, everyone immediately understanding that the fourth quarter would be the real battle of today. Subbing Kuroko out, Riko decided to sub Tsuchida in so he and Mitobe would have the responsibility of guarding the inside. Hyuuga and Izuki would continue doing what they were during the first half, marking No.9, the apologetic mushroom, and the glasses-wearing No.4. The biggest problem was Aomine, but Riko knew that there was only one person who could take him on, and had Kagami mark him for this match.

I hope Kagami-kun's legs will be okay

~Time Skip~

His leg should've been mostly healed, and I made sure to tape them up well. He should've been fine until the end of the game, so what's wrong? ....Oh my god f*ck

Nakamura could only watch in pain as she saw Kagami's other leg act up from the extra stress he had been putting on it to avoid using his injured leg. Nakamura faced Riko and told her that they HAD to bench Kagami now before his legs got worst, subbing him for Tsuchida. Kagami complained as he was benched again but Nakamura shut him up by throwing a towel at his head, telling him that he overworked his legs and it would've gotten worst if they had allowed him to continue to play. Quieting down, everyone on the bench watched as the already large score gap they had began to get even larger. Kuroko's determination had encouraged the team to not give up and everyone gave it their all, but in the end, Touou won, 112 - 55.

You've worked hard everyone