Chapter 8 | night out

"You should start acting like a grown-up."

• ♡ •

Heer glanced at Kabir. "You really dance?" She broke the silence that was becoming slowly uncomfortable.

Kabir looked surprised at her question. "I used to. College dance team."

"Seriously?" Heer asked finding it hard to believe.

"Yeah," Kabir answered bewildered at her doubt. His eyes rested on her left hand that was on the bottle as she took another sip. She had a simple ring on her left hand's ring finger. They hadn't had a ring ceremony to exchanges rings. It was just the wedding ceremony. Was it always there? He wondered. 

Heer's feet were tapping as one of her favorite songs played. She missed her crazy lifestyle. There was a time she wouldn't leave the dance floor until her feet began hurting. She looked at Kabir. She badly wanted to dance but it was awkward to go alone. "I still can't digest the fact that you can dance." She began looking at him.

"Why would I lie?"

"Men lie all the time for various reasons generally to paint a better picture of themselves." Heer reasoned. 

"You're mistaken. I am not lying and I think you have a really stupid opinion about men. Rather childish!"

"Prove it!" Heer said confidently. "See you're scared."

"Excuse me!" Kabir muttered staring at her. 

She did a mental happy dance. She successfully triggered Kabir Jaisinghani. She got to her feet walking to his chair. "Dance!"

"Heer, have you lost it?" Kabir asked dumbfounded staring at the waiter who was looking at them. "Can you just go back and sit on your chair."

"Come on, Kabir. Just move a little, I really want to dance! I need some company. We'll hit two birds with one stone. Come on, just five minutes." She said loudly reaching to hold his hand.

"Heer, are you nuts? People are looking!" Kabir muttered in a soft voice. 

"Stop acting like you're sixty. You're young and you should definitely show me that you can dance!" She said tugging at his hand. Kabir exhaled looking around. Heer was acting worse than his daughter. Kabir quickly got up and she led him towards the floor.

"I am not dancing," Kabir repeated.

"Yeah, don't. I know, you don't know. Just stand and move a little. I am going to dance!" She said climbing the two steps.

Kabir was now pissed. Firstly she made a scene at the table, then she implied that he was acting like he was sixty and now she wanted him to just stand beside her and make a fool out of himself. He made a mental note to never go out alone with her ever again. He turned to find people dancing and then back at Heer who was dancing to the music too. The song was louder than it was heard at the table. He noticed a guy stare towards Heer who was also swaying. Annoying people. He shifted on his feet and walked around standing such that he was blocking that guy from walking up to Heer. 

She leaned closer to him, "come on, show your moves."

Kabir frowned as she pulled back and by now she was dancing with the group beside her. A minute later he walked away. She was a freaking adult who could do as she pleased. He wasn't going to stand there and make a fool out of himself. He stood aside watching. Heer was loud, almost crazy, and beautiful. But she wasn't Varsha. She would never take Varsha's place.