Chapter 10 | warming up

"Shh, you want to wake them up?"

• ♡ •

Heer walked into the kitchen after freshening up. She was surprised that it was half-past eight and no one had bothered to wake her up. She saw Kabir busy in the kitchen as usual. They hadn't spoken anything last night after that hug. Heer wouldn't deny that he had been there like a good companion. She felt so vulnerable last night. She craved for human comfort. Kabir had provided her that without any questions, requests, or conditions.

"Hey, morning!" He greeted her. 

Heer passed him a grateful smile. "Morning," she spoke perching upon the kitchen stool. "Where is Advi?" She asked glancing around the kitchen.

"Misha was going for a jog, Advi was bored so she tagged away with her." He answered pouring hot tea in a cup. He walked around and placed it before her. 

"Thanks," Heer said, pulling the cup before her. The aroma of the ginger blended with that of tea made her feel better. "Also for last night!" She spoke without looking up at him. 

He sat on the stool beside the one on which she sat. A plate of sandwiches was placed before him. While he pushed another towards her. He didn't know what he must say. Whatever Heer had been through wasn't fair to her. He couldn't sleep with his clouded mind until late, last night. He sort of understood why Heer had limited options. He was sure many in the society already knew about her pregnancy out of marriage and abortion. Obviously, in a society such as there's, a woman like that wasn't accepted. However, if it was a man who got a woman pregnant out of wedlock, he'd still have the privilege to marry as per his whims.

"So..." Kabir sighed, still pondering what he should say.

"You don't have to say anything for the sake of it. I am sorry if I, you know, burdened you with my crappy past." She spoke raising the cup to her lips.

"No, you didn't Heer. Frankly, you didn't deserve whatever happened, in fact, no woman deserves to be treated that way. Where did you find such a jerk?" He exclaimed picking up the sandwich.

"Front-bencher in computer science class," Heer replied with a hint of amusement.

Kabir looked at her astounded, a smile threatening to appear on his face. He chuckled unable to contain it. "And what were you? Back-bencher?" He asked out of silly curiosity.

"Bingo!" She replied after taking another sip of her beverage. 

"Damn," he muttered proceeding to eat.

"Are those cheese sandwiches?"

"No, they aren't, they are the regular sandwiches without the cheese." He replied as she picked a sandwich from her plate.

"Sitting in backbenches during class has its own charm," she spoke after a pause as she ate.

"Yeah, I know. I used to sit under the bench, used to sit up only for attendance."

"Woah, and you never got caught?"

"I did, luckily a teacher who liked me caught me. She gave me an earful and that's it. Mrs. Singh was her name. She was a very nice lady. Taught Consumer Services or something like that!"

Heer chuckled, "You seem to be quite a rebel. What happened to that Kabir? Why this drastic change?"

Kabir's smile faded. It was as though he realized he had put his guard down and had let Heer in for a nice chat. "I am the same," he said, eating his breakfast.