8

"You're what?"

I heard her properly but I just couldn't believe it. How could such a thing happened?

I'm her best friend I should have known. We should have celebrated and made a night just about her but she kept it a secret.

"I'm promoted. I'm going to be the one to manage the new branch in Chicago."

I'm not mad at her for hiding this kind of thing from me but I was saddened.

Madeline has been my best and only friend. And now she's leaving for her dream job.

I smiled at her. A smile that says 'I'm proud of you' but also says 'I'll miss you' because I am proud. She deserves every promotion and every additional sallary she will receive.

But as her friend, of course I'll miss her. I'll miss her bluntness and grumpy attitude. Well, pretty much everything about Maddie.

I hugged her told her good luck. She laughed but after we pulled away she cleared her throat and went serious.

"Here's the thing." She began, clearly shy about what she's about to say. 

"There's an open job in the new branch. The person in the job will be my right hand man. When I'm in another country, he'll be the one to manage."

My heart started beating faster than usual. I think I know where this is going. I hope...

"The boss assigned me the task. She told me to pick the person I trust the most. Umm.. And that person is you. I'm offering you the job, dude."

I'm over the moon and immediately nodded indicating that I accept the job.

"Maddie thank you. Of course I accept. That's the dream!"

I was a little stunned when she didn't smile. Isn't she happy that we'll work together?

"How about the love of your life?" She asked and I froze.

Elaina Summers.

My heart sank. I have to leave her if I accept the job.

I made a promise to myself that I'll protect her and stay close by her no matter what.

Everything changes now. The job Maddie offered me is one of my dream for my career. I work hard to get that promotion. But I can't let her go.

I love her. Despite having no assurance that she'll love me back, I'll stay by her side.

I guess that's love. Despite getting hurt over and over again if you love a person you'll stay.

"I'm your friend and I know you really love Elaina Summers but hon she doesn't love you. Face the truth."

That hurts. Of course it does. She's telling the truth.

I'm thankful that she tells me the facts but right now, I don't wanna hear it.

"This opportunity is huge for you. Don't let it go to waste just because of a girl."

"I'm leaving in a week. I'll wait for you in the airport. If you show up, you'll come to Chicago with me and you accept the job. If you don't, I'll understand. We'll still be friends. Think about it."

Right after that she left my apartment.

I spent the rest of the day just staring at the wall and thinking about what should I do.

I couldn't just leave the woman I love. But this job is my dream.

She doesn't love you.

I took my glasses off and closed my eyes.

I can't think straight. I kept thinking about that beautiful smile of Elaina Summers.

I kept thinking what would it look like to hold her hand and hug her tight.

What would it feel like when she says "I love you" to me.

Elaina Summers..

Up until to this day it's still a mystery to me how and why did I fell for you this deep.

My mind wondered back to that moment I first saw her.

In the lovely beach of Los Angeles, California. I saw this girl with this beautiful long blond hair. She's smiling from ear to ear while talking to her, I'm guessing, her friends.

Before I knew, my heart is beating as fast as someone on a treadmill.

Days passed before I see that beautiful girl again. But this time, she's no longer in her lovely blue floral dress. She's in a uniform, working in a café.

Everytime she serves me my food I couldn't help but grin like a fool.

She looks more beautiful up close too.

I took a deep breath before standing up to go to my office. Despite the conflict I'm facing I started working.

Maybe.. Just maybe..

After this, I'll be able to make a decision.