13

Everyone, including myself applaud when Mrs. Hamana finished her speech.

It was beautiful. She focused on her love for writers and books. And I agree with everything she said.

Books nowadays don't get enough attention. I'm glad I'm the one to design this building. That's the dream.

My attention was diverted to Maddie when she drank every drop of her drink.

I smiled. My mom used to tell me to find a woman that will accept me for who I am. That's Maddie.

Seeing Elaina just proves to me that Madeline James is really the one for me.

She loves me. And I love her..

"Hon, can I ask you a favor?" I nodded with a smile. "Of course. What can I do for you?" I asked and even kissed the side of her forehead.

I just love doing that. Why? My reason is also Maddie.

She's the one who told me years ago that a kiss on the forehead is more intimate than a kiss on any part of the body.

She told me such simple gesture can make a woman feel her importance to the guy.

I want to tell her and make her feel that she's the most important person to me.

"Can you talk to Elaina Summers?" My forehead ceased. That's an odd request.

Even before we became a couple, she never failed to voice out her dislike towards Elaina.

"I'll tell you why I asked you to do that after. Please." I smiled at her. I know Maddie.

She wouldn't ask me such a thing without a good reason. I trust her.

I nodded and kissed her cheek.

"I'll look for you later. I love you, Madeline James." I told her and she gave me a sweet smile.

"I love you, Anthony Wheeler."

I really love her.

I gave her hand one tight squeeze before we parted and I started looking for one Elaina Summers.

I wonder where she is. I spoke to Mrs. Hamana again and she's one of the newly employed writers in the company.

I'm happy for her.

"I finally found you." She looked back and when I saw her swollen eyes, I couldn't help but worry.

Don't get me wrong. I really don't feel the same way I used to 3 years ago. However, she was still a huge part of my past.

Of course I care about her.

"Are you alright?" She smiled at me. That same old charming smile that made me fall in love with her.

"Of course. Where's your fiancé?" Without even realizing it, a smile made its way to my lips. "She's talking to some of our colleagues."

She just nodded and faced the crowd of people. She's just watching them while drinking her martini.

I wonder what she's thinking.

"Elaina, can we talk?" She faced me and just nodded.

She started walking to the exit and I just followed her. She still looks as lovely as I first saw her.

I'm amazed at the fact that she's right jn front me. Just like she was again 3 years ago coincidentally.

The only difference is that, she's not in my heart anymore. Maddie is.

"Do you have anything to say to me?" She asked. I shook my head with a shy smile. "I just want to tell you that what I said 3 years ago is all gone now. I just want to clear the air between us."

She smiled but now, her smile isn't the same as it used to look.

"You really love Madeline huh?" My grin widened. "With my entire being." She chuckled like I said something funny.

"You know what sucks? Hoping that when you see the person you think is the one again after years, he'll still feel the same way. I'm dumb I know."

I was taken aback by her statement. Does she mean what I think she mean?

"I'm freaking in love with you and you're already engaged to Madeline. I'm 3 years late."

I was stunned. No. Stunned is an understatement.

She just confessed that she loves me. What do you expect me to feel?

I was head over heels. For 5 years, all my heart and mind speak is her. But this is not 3 years ago. The fast pace of my heart everytime I see her is gone now.

I shook my head and gave her a smile..

"Elaina Summers, I dreamt for years to hear you say that. If this was 3 years ago, I would be over the moon. But..."

"But you don't love me anymor. You love Madeline James. I know,darlin. I was just stupid and hoped one last time that maybe you'll choose me."

If this happened 3 years ago, my life would be completely different.

There's a huge chance that I'm still in my old job. Maybe I got promoted. Maybe not.

This building won't be designed by me. Maddie and I aren't engaged. Maybe Elaina and I are.

We'll live in an apartment in the heart of New York City.

Somehow, I couldn't see us as happy as Maddie and I.

Everything happens for a reason.

If I didn't meet Elaina, I would never decide to move to New York. I would never meet my soon to be wife.

What I thought is our love story turned out to be just a sub plot to my relationship with Maddie.

"I used to think it'll always be just you. But what I felt about you wasn't true. I truly love Madeline James. I hope... No. I know that someday you'll meet someone that will make you feel the same way Maddie makes me feel."

I looked back when I felt a hand on my arm.

"Hon, Mrs. Hamana is looking for you. Let's go?" It's Maddie. My fiancé.

I faced Elaina Summers one last time.

She smiled at me and flashed that perfect set of teeth.

"Goodbye, darlin'"

With Maddie in my arms, I never felt more sure in my entire life. I'm right where I'm suppose to be.

She's my love. My anchor. My light. My support. My best friend. My honey. My sweetheart. My fiancé. My darling.

That's Madeline James.