10

Elaina Summers

"Elle! Wake up! It's already 3 pm." I slowly opened my eyes but closed it again when the sunlight burnt my eyes.

"What the hell, Jess?" I frowned and rubbed my eyes before sitting up.

With my hair still a mess and my breath smelling like hell I looked at my roomate slash best friend with an expression telling her how annoyed I am.

"Don't give me that face, Elaina. Did you forgot?" She asked accusingly. I slyly smiled at her. "No. Of course not."

I lied. I'm digging my head what is she talking about but nothing.

"Liar. You forgot, I know you more than you know yourself." She rolled her eyes and went to my closet to mess it up like she always do.

"Today is my aunt's opening for her publishing company. A big opportunity for you."

My eyes widen and looked for my phone in panic.

I cursed and immediately got up from my bed. "You actually forgot? I bet the reason you forgot is that guy you met 8 years ago."

I ignored her and went in my bathroom to take a shower.

It's been more than 3 years since that night that he confessed to me and I still couldn't remove him out of my mind.

At the time I really didn't think much into the sadness I felt when he told me he'll leave. But now.. I realized that I liked him.

Maybe I still do.

I don't know. I'm thankful that I got over my ex husband but it sucks that now I'm hang up on a more amazing guy.

I couldn't help but smile when I remember the way he fix his glasses. Or when he takes it off then I can appreciate his eyes.

That smile that just speaks to your soul. He's good guy.

I remember when we first met in California. He blushed when I talked to him and he was so surprised. He looked so cute.

When he pretended to be mute I let it slide even though I knew he can talk.

I spent an hour in the bathroom before going out.

Jess is already out of sight. I'm gonna guess she's already in her room, preparing.

Today is the opening of Aunt Sarah's publishing company. She is Jess' aunt-in-law but she still offered to help me in my career. And I'm greatful.

I dried my hair before I wore make up. I'm not a big fan of make up so I decided to wear a nude eyeshadow and winged eyeliner to bring out my eyes.

I wore red lipsticks and mascara in the end.

I curled my hair before I tied my long hair into a high ponytail.

I just finished tying my hair when Jess walked in my room.

She looks stunning in her nude backless sheath gown that fits her so well and is perfect for her tan skin. Her gown also has a slit showing her long right leg. She paired it with a nude ankle strapped 3 inch heels. Her black hair is tied into a bun turning all the attention to her outfit and make up.

"You look beautiful, Jess." I complimented making her grin. She even spun around to show me her whole outfit.

"Get dressed already. The party will start in 30 minutes."

I stood up and wore my sleeveless black mermaid gown that shows my curve and matches my black nails. I paired it all with black stiletto.

"Who are you? Where's my best friend?"

I laughed and took her hand.

Jessica Lopez is my best friend seens grade school. She's a beautiful half Latina and half American with the head of Einstein. She's smart as hell and I love her.

The venue to Aunt Sarah's company is just 20 minutes away from our apartment so we just arrived right on time.

"Auntie." Jess greeted her first. I bowed a little to express my respect for her.

"Good evening, Aunt Sarah." I greeted and hugged her. Even though she's already in her 40s she still looks young and stunning.

"Elaina! I'm glad you made it. We'll tall later about your story. There's free drink and food. Please enjoy."

She excused herself so, Jess and I made our way to the bar.

The party is in the rooftop of a 50 story building which shows us the view of New York City.

"A martini and your finest wine please." Jess ordered without asking my order.

She handed me my martini. "Are you ready? This night may be the most important night of your life, my friend." She told me before leaving.

She's right. This may be my big break. After this night everything will change.

I can't wait.

My mind went back to 3 years ago. What if I realized sooner how I felt about him and went with him to Chicago? Will I still have this big break?

"Elaina Summers?" I snapped back to reality when I heard a familiar voice.

I turned around and saw that smile of hers.

"Madeline James. How are you?"

Her smile grew wider. "I'm amazing. Thanks for asking. How about you? Are you one of the writers that Mrs. Hamana has her eye on?"

I nodded.

Madeline James is still as beautiful as when I saw her 3 years ago. Her red long sleeves lace sheath gown looks perfect in her. Her red hair is shorter now but it still fits her.

That smile of hers is still the same.

I know just from that smile that she doesn't like me. Maybe it's because of him.

"Yes. What are you doing here? Are you a writer too?" I asked even though I know that she's an architect like him. But I don't want her to think that I remember something that happend forever ago.

She shook her head before taking a sip from her drink. Then, something caught my attention.

There's a beautiful diamond ring on her hand.

"You're married." I stated. She smiled, a genuine one. She must really love the guy.

"Not yet. I'm engaged." she said full of love in her eyes.

"Who's the lucky guy?" I asked but before she can answer a familiar guy appeared behind her and wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Hey fiancé." He whispered in her ears but it's loud enough for me to hear.

My heart clenched. He haven't even noticed me.

Madeline turned around and kissed his cheek. "Hey. Umm, hon remember your friend Elaina Summers." Then he turned to me.

Those eyes is still as wonderful as I remembered it.

I noticed he was stunned to see me but just seconds after he offered his hand for a handshake while his other is still on Madeline's waist.

"Elaina Summers. How have you been?"