Chapter Fifteen: Flying Together

Roman could feel the electricity in the air as he gazed at the stable boy. Virgil's expression was unreadable, but soft and somewhat comforting. The prince swallowed nervously as he felt butterflies dancing in his stomach. He looked at the dragon with a conflicted expression. "Are you certain you want to let me?" he asked quietly. "I haven't even learned to ride yet."

"Yes, well, you wouldn't be riding him alone of course," Virgil said, attaching the harness he'd brought with him. "You've got experience with horses, and I'll be in the front. All you have to do is hold on."

With a slight smile, the prince nodded. "Okay, if you're sure you want me to."

"Well, I would hate to drag you all the way out here and then just go off flying with Dante and leave you here with nothing to do," he replied. He tightened the last strap on the harness and then pulled himself onto the dragon's back. He extended a hand to Roman. The prince's uncertainty was still evident on his face, so Virgil smiled warmly to reassure him. "Come on, just fly with me Princey."

Roman's breath escaped him as he looked up at the beautiful young man offering his hand. He looked so much more confident on the back of a dragon. There was no fear or anxiety, no hesitation; he almost couldn't believe that he was the same boy who was trembling beside him in the banquet hall. The prince's lips curled into a slight smile as he placed his hand in Virgil's.

He was hoisted up onto the dragon's back, settling behind the stable boy. He tried to put some distance between, just to prevent overstepping any boundaries, but Virgil chuckled and looked over his shoulder at him. 

"You're going to want to hold on," he said. 

Roman opened his mouth to reply, but Dante flapped his wings and jumped into the air. He yelped and wrapped his arms around the boy in front of him. His heart was now racing in his chest as he looked down at the ground growing smaller below him. 

"Oh god, oh god, oh god," he muttered, feeling suddenly very nervous. "I didn't prepare myself mentally for the whole flying thing!"

"Relax! It's fun!" Virgil called back to him. 

"HOW DO YOU OF ALL PEOPLE FIND THIS FUN!?" he yelled as Dante swooped passed a tall cliff.

Though the wind ripped the sound away, Roman could feel Virgil's laughter as he squeezed him tightly. The dragon spiraled, spun, and dipped drastically through the air, making him dizzy and feel like he'd pass out any second. Virgil glanced at him over his shoulder and noticed his discomfort. He leaned forward on Dante, murmuring to the dragon.

The next thing the prince knew, they were slowly and steadily soaring through the sky. The air wasn't ripping at his hair or making his eyes water. The dragon's wings beat steadily as they flew calmly. 

They passed the small mountains on the far edge of the woods. They flew passed trees that glowed with the light of the moon. When there was nothing but sky, he felt limitless possibilities before him. The stars seemed to be closer and they seemed to twinkle a little brighter. The palace's silhouette stood, beautiful and elegant against the darkness of the night. It's windows were lit with glowing orange lights, and the village just down the road was also slightly aglow. The last of the lights were being turned out, leaving he and Virgil alone in the sky.

"Oh..." he whispered, looking back down at the earth now that they were flying more slowly. He grinned, feeling his chest swell with an inexplicable feeling. "I think I get it now."

"Up here, it's just me and Dante," Virgil said. Roman looked at the back of his head, listening intently as he spoke. "Up here, I don't have to be anything. All the people down there... their expectations, their disappointment, their resentment, their toxicity... up here, there's just the sky."

The prince smiled in awe at his words and leaned forward to rest his head on his shoulder. He could see Virgil's smile and his closed eyes as the wind blew his bangs away from his face. "It's really beautiful too," he pointed out, unaware of what exactly he was referring to himself. There was certainly more than one beautiful sight to behold in his opinion.

He chuckled in response. "Sure, it's beautiful, but that's not why I fly," he said, patting Dante's neck. "It's freedom and the purest connection I've ever felt. I've never felt connected to another being before Dante... but he gives me a sense of being understood that I've never had before."

"I understand you," Roman offered, talking softly next to his ear. "At least, I want to. I find you fascinating, caring, and unique... I feel like I can be myself around you."

Virgil smiled to himself. "I feel the same way."

The prince grinned happily and hugged the boy's waist tighter. They soared around for a while longer, talking more about their desires for freedom. Eventually, Virgil flew Dante back down into the woods, landing them in the clearing. Roman's hair was all fluffy as he dismounted the dragon.

"Oh my god, you look ridiculous," Virgil cackled, pointing to his hair. 

Roman gasped in mock offense as Dante made a laughter-like noise in agreement. "How dare you insult me! I'm a prince you peasant!" he said dramatically, sniffling. "I'm so wounded, I cannot bear it."

The stable boy smiled in amusement as he removed Dante's harness. "Right, well, his Highness should be heading back to the palace."

"Aren't you coming back with me?" Roman asked, eyebrows furrowing together in confusion. Virgil blinked as though that hadn't occurred to him as an option. "I mean... you were last seen at the palace, and I'm pretty sure my mom was planning on having you stay there anyway, you being our champion and all... I guess I'm asking you to come back with me?"

Virgil looked contemplative. "Where would I be spending the night?" he asked suspiciously. 

"A spare room in my wing of course, there's a couple bedrooms in my wing of the palace," Roman insisted, feeling his cheeks warm at the other implications. "I was just kidding about earlier- I mean- not that I don't like you- I mean- I don't really know about that yet- I'm gonna shut up."

The stable boy looked amused and smiled a little. "It's fine Princey, I think I get where you're coming from there," he agreed.