-1-

A person wrapped in a head scarf leads a horse down a dirt road with a wagon carrying what looks like a wooden coffin

A person wrapped in a head scarf leads a horse down a dirt road with a wagon carrying what looks like a wooden coffin. The head scarf unravels in the wind, and we see that this supposed historical warrior with a sword is our protagonist, who we'll later know as Jang Man-wol (IU). A group of soldiers discover the blood-stained scarf and race on horseback toward their wanted suspect.

That night, Man-wol stops at a tent for food and a drink, and the serving woman wonders aloud who this mysterious warrior is. Irascible Man-wol complains about the tasteless alcohol and chatty woman, and she proceeds to pour the alcohol on the coffin.

The woman asks if someone died or if Man-wol killed someone. She knows that the only people that wander through this area in these harsh conditions have either killed someone or are going to kill someone. Irritated by this woman, Man-wol threatens to cut off her tongue, but the woman isn't frightened; rather, astutely asks what Man-wol is searching for.

Man-wol answers that she's looking for a lodge where the dead can rest, and the woman identifies this place as the Moon Lodge. Man-wol's eyes widen at the mention of this lodge, and she asks where she can find it. The woman says that only the dead can venture there and looks to the crowd of ghosts behind Man-wol.
The woman asks how many spirits lie in the coffin, and Man-wol sadly admits that these people died because of her. She then asks how many people Man-wol killed for the dead in the coffin, and short-tempered Man-wol draws her sword, demanding the woman to direct her to the lodge.

Noticing the engraving on the sword, the woman learns Man-wol's name, which means full moon. Man-wol tears up as she tells the woman that she's trying to take responsibility for the lost lives. Then, she holds the sword against her neck and prepares to kill herself if that's the only way for her to find this lodge.

The woman, a deity named Mago disguised in human form, pities Man-wol for thinking that taking her own life will make up for the death she's caused. But Man-wol claims that her life is the only thing she can sacrifice now and digs the sword into her neck. Mago reiterates that the dead gather at the Moon Lodge and looks to the horseback soldiers arriving behind Man-wol.

Man-wol positions herself to fight these soldiers, but they turn into dust as they ride past her. The woman tells that she's killed these soldiers before, and Man-wol remembers slaughtering them and picking up the bloodied scarf.

Holding the scarf in her hand, Man-wol looks at her deserted surroundings and wonders if she's arrived in the Moon Lodge as a demonic spirit. Mago has also disappeared, but her voice tells Man-wol, "You arrogant, foolish, and self-pitying human — now that you've walked into the place of your punishment, take responsibility for your sins."

Then, a shadow approaches from behind, and Man-wol turns to defend herself against the attacker, but she stabs her sword into a tree. Her past life suddenly flashes before her eyes, and she cries at the faraway memories. The tree pulls the sword from Man-wol's hands and absorbs it before growing taller with extending branches.