-3-

Staring up at the ancient tree in the hotel, Man-wol thinks back to Chan-sung's question as to whether or not she's alive and laments that she's just stuck

Staring up at the ancient tree in the hotel, Man-wol thinks back to Chan-sung's question as to whether or not she's alive and laments that she's just stuck. A flashback takes her back to her life before the hotel as she sits atop a cliff overlooking a convoy below. She nods to one of her companions, whose name is YEON-WOO (Lee Tae-sun), and he leads an attack on the party.

Man-wol remains on the cliff and watches as Yeon-woo is disarmed by the head guard, who's name we'll learn is GO CHUNG-MYUNG (Lee Do-hyun). She draws her bow and fires at Chung-myung, who senses it in time to knock the arrow away. The two stare at each other for a charged moment and then Man-wol whistles for her team to withdraw. Chung-myung gives chase and manages to catch up with Man-wol, tackling her from her horse.

He's stunned to discover that the ringleader is actually a beautiful woman giving Man-wol the opportunity to knock him out. She takes him prisoner, but Chung-myung doesn't seem particularly bothered as he rides behind her all tied up. He asks her to release him on the grounds they hail from the same homeland, but Man-wol doesn't take kindly to his familiar speech and kicks him to the ground.

Chung-myung warns her he's a lowly foot soldier and won't fetch a ransom, but Man-wol smirks that the noble woman in the carriage had seem more concerned about his safety than her stolen possessions. He cheekily suggests that he can persuade the noble woman better if Man-wol unties him. Man-wol wonders if cutting out his tongue will lower his price.

Something spooks Man-wol's horse but when she starts to chase after it, she finds herself caught in quicksand. Chung-myung wanders over to the pit and Man-wol throws out her scarf, shouting for him to pull her out. He suggests she throw her sword instead, pointing out he's still bound and calmly warning her not to struggle since it'll only make her sink faster.

Out of options, Man-wol throws her sword and Chung-myung cuts his ropes. Man-wol throws out her hand for help and cries out as Chung-myung saunters away. She frantically tries to fight her way out, sinking ever deeper... and then Chung-myung reappears with a rope he'd tied to the horse. Once out, Chung-myung holds Man-wol's sword to her neck and declares her his prisoner now.

Chung-myung further reveals that the woman he'd been escorting was a princess and he's actually the captain of her guards. Man-wol stares up at him with angry tears but he suddenly crumples to the ground as a rock smacks him in the head. Looking up, Man-wol smiles to see Yeon-woo grinning back at her.

In the present, Man-wol's reverie is interrupted by Mago, the deity that left Man-wol in charge of the hotel. Mago wonders aloud whether Man-wol is looking at this moon... or the one from long ago. Man-wol quips that they're all the same and Mago coos that the flowers around the ancient tree are beautiful — indicating Man-wol has done well as the hotel's proprietress.

Mago tuts that she noticed Manager Noh had passed on and Man-wol wonders when it'll be her turn. Mago chides that Man-wol isn't dead yet, rather her life force is tied to the tree and the flow of life and death has stopped for her. Man-wol demands when Mago will release her, but Mago says Man-wol is keeping herself chained.