Chapter 3- Getting Started

I was escorted to my room by Agent Jemma Simmons, who helped me unpack my things. (Coulson  had sent an agent back to my apartment to collect my stuff) Then she showed me to a training room where Dr. Banner was waiting for me.

"Thank you, Agent Simmons," I said.

She smiled and nodded. "Anytime."

I took a deep breath and went into the training room. Dr. Banner smiled at me, but I could tell he felt a little out if his element. He was usually in the lab doing science, not training, but he was ready as ever to take on the challenge.

"So...,"he says, "your powers kick in only when you're really angry, huh?"

"Yes," I say. "But...it's only happened twice. In eight grade, and earlier today." I couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed about what I'd done.

"The..um..other guy..only shows up when I'm angry, too," said Dr. Banner. "I guess that's why Fury wants me to work with you. So...I have a theory I'd like to test out. The results could actually be pretty crucial, seeing as how Fury wants you to be an Avenger and all."

"Okay," I said. " Do whatever you need to do."

"Um..alright," he said. I guess he didn't think I was going to say yes, maybe his theory involved experimenting on me in some way? I wasn't too sure, but he was the expert, so I was going to trust him.

Hr walked me over to a punching bag. "Okay, so I want you to think about the last thing that made you really mad. That released your powers. Concentrate really hard, and just let it all out."

"Are you sure about this?" I asked nervously. "I thought we were supposed to be keeping my powers under control, not trying to trigger them!"

"Just trust me," said Dr. Banner. "We are trying to show you how to control your powers so you can use them for good, and not just as an accidental outburst."

"I don't know..." I mumbled. "I don't want to accidentally hurt you..."

"You won't," he said reassuringly. "I'm not even sure you can, if you know what I mean.."

"Yeah.." I mumbled. I started concentrating on earlier today. That jerk at the restaurant... I felt myself get really mad and then...BANG!!!! The punching bad that had been in front of me was now slammed against the far wall, and I had inadvertently put my hands out in front of me, directing the blast of energy.

"Whoa," said Dr. Banner, smiling a little. "That defintely proves my theory. Negative memories provoke anger, in turn, provoking your powers." He smiled again. "I think that's all for today, Sophie. Agent Romanoff will be here shortly to get you started with combat training. She's our best agent, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot from her.

"Thanks," I said, smiling widely.

I was going to get to train with the famous Black Widow!!!