The First Revelation

Muhammad was born into a wealthy family in the thriving city of Medina. His family, in charge of taking care of the large temple at the center of the city accumulated large swarths of wealth from throngs of pilgrims wishing to beseech the gods for favor.

One day when he was 15, a wealthy merchant 30 years of age and barren went and gave an extravaggant offering of 150 pigs and 200 full sacks of gold, prodded and carried by Ethiopian slaves into the temple.

Muhammad's father was pleased with the generous offering. He went before her and prostrated, thanking,

"O great merchant, your generousity is beyond the bounds of heaven above. How can we here ever repay you?"

The merchant looked down at him and up onto a corner, behind a black statue of a pig headed god was little youthful Muhammad. She stared into his bright almond eyes and said,

"If you offer me that boy over there, it is all that I need in return"

Muhammad's father grabbed the sandals of the merchant and kissed her feet profusely, slobering saliva about, thanking her each time profusely. The merchant smiled as she bid the little Muhammad to come to her.

Thus from that day on, Muhammad was bethrothed to the merchant, whose name Ali told us was "Khadijah"

Now Muhammad because he was youthful, was burning with passion. No potion from the love doctors could keep his heart still. So every night when he was with Khadijah in his bed chamber, he would beg to know her.

But Khadijah declined, saying,

"I am barren. It is no use for us to know one another. I have chosen you as my husband for the purposes of ease of trade contract, for as a woman many of  my trade partners in the lands of India refuse to take me seriously."

Muhammad upon hearing this was enflamed, not with passion but anger. He shouted,

"Woman! Am I just a seal to be signed on letters to you? How dare you!"

Having lashed out at her, Muhammad went out of the house and mounting a camel, rode out into the dark desert. He came across a rocky cave and sought refuge, venting out his rage.

Screaming and roaring in frustration, the noises echoed and caused the walls of the cave to vibrate. Suddenly there was a bright flash of light and Muhammad fell back in fear, covering his face, squinting his eyes at the sudden brightness.

A deep gutteral voice then announced,

"I am Jibril, and you are chosen for a marvellous purpose. Don't be frustrated that your own wife will not let you know her, for if you follow what I say, you shall know many more, beyond your wildest imagination.

Now O Muhammad, rise and listen to the words which stream forth uncreated from Above"

Muhammad slowly stood up, his legs trembling at the sight of the radaint light shimmering before him. Within the light he beheld writhling forms. He stretched forth his hand to touch the forms but the heat radiating forth was too great. He retracted his arm immediately

"Dont test what is Above O Muhammad. Now be attentive and listen", chastised the voice

So Muhammad bowed his head in submission and said,

"Very well god of the light, if you offer what you promise, I shall listen"

This is the first Revelation given onto Muhammad.