Testimony

Gathered before the throne of the Negus, a small crowd of Muslims were staring at the envoys from Medina. Amongst the crowd of Arabs and black Ethiopian converts, a companion of the Prophet, Abu Talib went forth, testifying,

"Your Majesty, we were once uncivilised, worshipping stones and lifeless statues, eating corpses and committing numerous atrocities. Our strong devoured our weak. It was Muhammad, Peace and Blessings be upon him who freed us from slavery. Through the Signs that the One True God performed in him, our eyes were opened.

Through him we left behind these idols to the worship of the true God. According to Muhammad our Prophet, we are always to be upright, be mindful of the ties of kinship, not to lie, not to murder, to love and protect the weak and not to give homage to lifeless idols of stone and marble.

Now these evil Medinans come to you, trying to steal away our liberty by making false accusations of us. They want to drag us back into the idolatry we left behind and revert us to darkness!"

The envoys gritted their teeth and clenched their fists. They spake out in return,

"O Great King, if what this Muslim said is true then I ask them to tell us right now, is Jesus God? Is the Spirit God? Tell us then if you are truly consonant with the teachings of your so called prophet and not lie, tell us, is Jesus God? Is the Spirit God?"

Abu Talib could feel moist sweat on his brows. He looked at the Negus who was looking at him with intent. He looked at the envoys whose lips were now slightly stretched into a light grin, shoulders tingling in excitement.

"If I say Jesus is God, I break the rule of the Prophet, if I say Jesus is not God, the Negus would be swayed to the side of these Medinans", he thought.

Wiping his brow, he looked at the ground and thought deeply of what he could say against the envoys. Then looking at the throne, a rough sketch formed in his mind and out of his lips they flowed,

"According to the Prophet, Jesus is the slave of God, he is the servant who came not to be served but to serve.

Why Your Highness does he wash the feet of his disciples O Your Highness?

It is because of this, to serve as our Prophet rightly taught us. He is also the word of God which was cast into the womb of the Most Holy, Most Pure, Most Immaculate and Ever Virgin Mary."

Upon this, the envoys pressed,

"But is Jesus God? How does that answer our question? Are you unable to say "Yes" or "No" to such a simple question?

Could it be that you are trying to conceal something from the ears of the King?

If not, "Yes" or "No, pick only one"

Abu Talib calmly responded,

"Jesus is the word of God who will come again to judge the living and the dead. Make that what you will"

Angered that they were unable to trap him, the envoys gnashed their teeth, barking out demands that he answer "Yes" or "No", accusing him of dancing around the question they asked. The Negus stood up from his throne and grabbing a stick from one of his attendants, threw it down onto the floor between the Muslims and the envoys. Then going over to pick it up, he said,

"By God, Jesus, Son of Mary, what this follower of this saint said does not exceed the length of this stick."

Angered by this, the envoys snorted, provoking the Negus to announce,

"Though you snort, I shall let this saint and his followers live free in my country. We will not allow you or anyone to lay hand on even just one more strand of hair. Now depart from me with your gifts, for I do not know you"

Dejected, the envoys and their slaves went out of the palace, departing the port of Aksum. On the other hand, the Muslims endorsed by the Negus were protected throughout his domain. They live under the most happiest and comfortable of conditions, beloved by the Christians. Wherever Muhammad went, people arrayed around him, kissing his hand, bowing, praising and beseeching him for his wisdom.

Back in Medina, the city council and Muhammad's father were burning in rage, being informed that their ploy has failed. Once more they convened in council, plotting against him. Eventually Muhammad's father proposed,

"If we can't move the king with gifts and the truth of this wicked magician, then we should start small. Let's sneak in some spies as traders and merchants, going in unawares to the meetings of this wicked magician and his followers. Then have them spread any detail indignant towards the Christians all over the kingdom. This way the people will be roused to take up arms against him"

Thus, the city council prepared small teams of merchants and slaves to be used as spies. Being traders, they went by ship to the port of Aksum, trading and bargaining goods and services. They feigned interest in Muhammad's teachings hearing him and his followers preach, going up to them saying,

"We idolaters are moved by your words, we wish to follow your ways".

So they were brought into the meetings between the Muslims and initiated, having to recite the following three times,

"There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his Prophet".

They did so and for several months, outwardly practised living as Muslims. Amongst these spies, there were some who were moved by the way of the Prophet. Others however, heart attached to the dirt of their fathers' idolatry, prepared to proceed with the next step of their plan.