9. How it started

-flashback 2 years ago, age 28-

Adams pov:

I woke up to a million texts from my manager telling me I had an urgent meeting with him. I hopped out of bed to quickly put on a black suit and tie and dress shoes and ran out the door. He was still blowing up my phone, so something was clearly going on.

I sped to the office building and pushed open the door to his office seeing mark in his chair and a woman with dark hair in the other chair across from him.

"Adam! Finally! God man do you sleep all day?" Mark asked as I took a seat in the other chair. I scoffed at him.

"Well last night I was at a gala for charity, so excuse me if I had a little bit of a snooze this morning. Now what's so important" I stated, not trying to be rude but this meeting surely didn't seem as urgent as it was.

The woman cleared her throat and moved a little closer towards me, putting her hand out for me to shake. "I'm Monica, pleasure to meet you" she said as I took her hand. Her accent was heavy, she must have been from London.

"The pleasure is mine. I don't mean to be rude but, what is this meeting for?" I said looking at mark and he let out an ah, sound.

"Well this is going to sound very harsh. But you need to be out in the public eye more. Now I know that must not makes sense. But let me explain. The star wars interviews are great. Absolutely great. But we don't have YOU in the headlines." He said and I looked at him confused. He laughed a little before continuing. "No I see how that can look weird. We have Kylo in the headlines. But we don't have Adam. I want you to have a personal life blown up in the headlines. Something to bring light to your name. Yes Kylo is your character. But you're more than that. And we want to bring that to light."

"We?" I asked, looking at them both.

Monica laughed. "Yes, myself and mark have felt that maybe it would be a good idea if we went out in public together. Between my movies and books, and you for your amazing acting. We both feel we would bring good publicity for each other. We get a cup of coffee, get a fancy dinner. Be seen kissing a couple of places and boom. Our names are in the headlines" she said and I felt my stomach turn. I shook my head in absolute disbelief.

"You want to fake an entire relationship, so our names blow up in the headlines if magazines? You have to be joking." I looked at them with pure disgust. Who in there right mind would do something like this?  I saw Monica shift uncomfortably in her chair and mark leaned forward.

"Look Adam I'm not saying fall in love with the woman and get married. I'm simply saying at least go get a cup of coffee, see how the banter is between you. Maybe go on an actual date. We need this publicity. We are getting offers but I know we would get more if you're name is thrown out there. Star Wars can only be in the headlines for so long, we need you out there making the fan girls wonder what's going on in your life. This isn't something that is just going to happen overnight and I feel it would be better if you actually try and get to know each other so the cameras can pick up on more natural feelings and attraction" he stated and you just stared at him. You couldn't believe what this man was asking you to do. Monica cleared her throat and stood up. She handed me a business card with her personal phone number on it.

"Well Adam, I understand how hard this must be. Please reach out if you feel comfortable." She stayed before turning toward mark. "Mark, I expect to hear from you about the property issue"  she stated before walking out the door. I couldn't help but release a deep laugh. I could tell mark wasn't happy with me.

"Look I will think about it but this is ridiculous. Mark I can make the headlines just fine I don't need a woman." I snapped back. Before he could get another word I was already out of the office on the way to my car. What kind of man does he think I am? Faking a relationship for a headline? Ridiculous.