CHAPTER 1

Amethyst St. Clair's POV

I walked into the busy airport of Rome finding my way to the exit terminals trying not to collide with other people. Summer in Italy was not the best time to conduct business when you will be joining a mob of tourists finding their way out of the airport and everyone was eager to find their way out of the busy airport.

I was only barely out of my beach dress from the wedding of my sister, Sapphire—ironically, to her Greek ex-husband before I hopped onto the plane board to Rome. I still can't believe it.

Our sly grandfather, Daniel, had managed to marry off two of my sisters within six months. He was unbelievable in his matchmaking skills—or meddling as I privately called it.

First, Ruby who had just come home after years abroad early in January, my rebellious younger sister had come to New York to hide from her husband the Spanish billionaire, Roman Vasquez. For some circumstances when they first married it was only out-of-convenience on her husband's part. Soon enough the handsome Spanish traveled to New York to woo his defiant wife. Not only Roman had managed to capture my sister's elusive heart despite her unpopular opinion about marriage.

Then Sapphire had followed. Two years after her divorce my sister had been more than ready to move on with her life but her ex-husband, Loukas, had something to say about it. Before my sister knew what was happening Loukas once again played the central character in her life. The ruthless Greek billionaire had managed to swept-off her feet for the second time.

I grimaced at the thought I already regretted my decision to leave my son in Greece with my family I should have brought Max with me here so maybe after my job we could take a little vacation before returning to New York he would probably like it here.

Daniel interference may work with Ruby and Sapphire but not for me

Uh-huh. Not me.

But upon learning that my new brother-in-law, Roman, the powerful Spanish magnate was a good friend of an Italian prince, uneasiness crept to my spine.

No, I chided myself. My family couldn't know that my little Max's father is...

I refused to think about that. Besides, there were still many titled gentlemen in Italy, right? Probably, Roman's friend must be one of them and that cold-hearted bastard who made me pregnant was most likely married now to the woman he'd been engaged to when he was seducing me in Lake Como six years ago.

Way to go self, I rebuked myself upon remembering the dark moments from my past when I promised myself not to think about it anymore. Pushing the bitter thoughts out of my head, I made my way to the terminal where the taxi had been waiting.

"St. Regis Hotel," I told the cab driver while I slid on the passenger's seat at the back of the car.

As the car sailed its way on the road I settled back on my chair, closing my eyes while trying to relax my tense muscles. As soon as this commission is finished I'll leave, Italy held too many bitter memories for me to handle.

An hour later after gruesome traffic in the streets of Rome, I finally arrived at the luxurious hotel striding in the lobby I looked for the man my grandfather had said I should meet here.

I stopped in my tracks when a middle-aged Italian man started to approach me. I noticed him sitting on the lounge chair in the lobby before he got a glimpse of me. He was probably the man I had to meet here.

"Are you, Signorina Amethyst St. Clair?" He asked in slightly accented English.

I nodded as I extended my hand in his direction. "Yes. And you are..."