CHAPTER 3

Amethyst St. Clair's POV

I threw my bag on the bed of the hotel where I was staying with a frustrated sigh. The last thing I expect to happen when I came here to Italy was certainly what happened in the lobby of that hotel.

Why do I have to see him again after all these years? I thought miserably. Meeting him again brought back all the emotions I have long buried. How dare he be accused of leaving without saying a word when he's the one who was dishonest in our relationship in that past?

No. We don't have a relationship. It was only a tryst and nothing more—at least on his part.

What puzzled me as I remove my damn shoes and toss them aside was the fact he thought he need to settle an old score when he was likely married by now.

I closed my eyes as the pain came back at me with a vengeance when I learn the horrible truth about him. He's been engaged when he was busy sleeping with me!

But I cannot totally hate him for that besides if not for that affair I will not have Max in my life now. He's the only good thing that happens to me during my summer vacation in Italy just after my parent's sudden death.

I felt the unmistakable shiver down my spine as I remember Max. Thank goodness, I didn't bring him here with me. I don't know what to do if he's with me a while ago when I bump into that prince. My son was starting to look more and more like him in the passing years.

Oh my god! There mere thought of them standing in one place was unthinkable. I cannot let him meet my son. I would die first before I would tell him about the existence of my son.

He doesn't have to know about the illegitimate son I'd borne. Because he'll likely have his children by now. That's why I didn't feel guilty keeping my son secret from him.

Now that I mention that I forgot that interrupted call I have with my little boy. I search for my phone inside my bag and dial Ruby's number again.

"Hey, it's me again," I said on the other line when my sister finally answer. "Sorry, bad reception a while ago. Where's Max again?"

"Hello, Mommy?" I sighed painfully when I heard the angelic voice of my son. "You're not going home yet?"

My heartache just to do that but I guess I need to stay here in Italy for a few more days. "Oh, honey. I wish I can go home now but mommy's work is not finished yet."

"All right."

I heard my son sigh deeply from the other line. "Is it okay with you if you stay with your Aunt Ruby for a few more days, darling?"

"Yeah, it's okay mommy. Don't worry about me and just work there."

Despite the whirlwind of emotion, I have felt right now I couldn't help but smile at how mature he thinks sometimes. At the age of five, I am sure he was probably curious by now why his father is not with us since he probably saw his classmate in kindergarten with his mom and dad but he didn't ask me anything.

Part of me was already aware that at a young age he already understand our situation is different from normal families that his father and I were together.

I knew he must be curious about him and I wanted to tell him but I always back out last minute when I think of telling him about his father.

"Mommy?"

I heard him on the other line inquiring innocently. I forced myself to focus my attention back on him. "Yes, baby?"

"Are you okay? You sound sad, mommy." I fought back the tears that threatens to fall in my eyes.