CHAPTER 19

Franco Calvetti's POV

Formidable.

Machiavellian.

Those were the first two words that came up to my mind when I met the infamous Daniel St. Clair or dubbed America's king of diamonds. Beneath those striking green eyes inherited by his granddaughters, there was ruthlessness in their depth. A man who seems always a few steps ahead of other people.

Right now, he led me to the formal dining room of his magnificent three-story mansion either to impress me or intimidate me with his wealth. They would not think of him as the king of diamonds for nothing. There was something about him that tells me that he knew something but he still acts like the innocent grandfather you expect him to be.

He sat at the head of the table while the rest of his family took the vacant chairs on the twenty-seater dining table that was beautifully arranged. Amy sat next to her grandfather on his left while our son sits between us. Emerald was sitting on Daniel's right next to her twin and Roman.

"Well," the patriarch started permitting himself with a smile slightly as the maids started to place the food on the table. "I didn't expect to meet our little Max's father tonight."

Emerald rolled her eyes at her grandfather. "Oh, come on, Granddad. As if, you didn't plan the whole thing."

He shot his granddaughter a look of innocence that didn't fool the rest of the family. "But I don't know what you mean, lass." He gazed at me intently. "Tell me, Franco. When did you arrive?"

I was about to answer when my son innocently announce to the dinner table. "Yesterday and he sleep in mommy's room last night."

Roman choke his wine while his wife tapped his back gently.

"Don't say things like that, Max!" Amy groaned while glaring at our son and then she look at the rest of the family with a flushed face. "It's not what you think!"

"Oh, believe me. We are not thinking anything, sis." Emerald stated mockingly.

"Did I say anything wrong?" Max inquired from the dinner table.

His Aunt Ruby grinned at him. "Not at all, sweetie. You just made this dinner a lot more interesting."

His face lit at her. "Really?"

"What do you do for a living?" It was a direct question for me coming from Daniel completely ignoring the awkward announcement of Massimo. There was something in his eyes that I perceive. Merriment? If I was not mistaken.

I cleared my throat while the rest of the family except Amethyst look at me while waiting for my answer. "I have several businesses back in Italy."

"Family business?"

"You can say that, sir."

Daniel sat back from his chair while studying me steadily. There was something about him that tells me that he was playing games with me. And at that moment I realize that he knew me way before I met him.

"Amethyst, lass." He moved on to pounce on his next target. "How is your commission thing in Italy? Any improvement?"

For the first time since we sat at the dinner table, Amy shot a venomous glare briefly before responding to her grandfather. "I'm still working on it, Granddad. The client rejected the first sets of designs I drew."

"I see." He said giving me a meaningful look. "I guess you need to stay in Italy much longer than I anticipated. Are you going to bring Max to Italy now since his father finally shows up?"

I mentally winced at his words. I knew by now that he's not saying things by accident if he wants to attack you with his words he will do so to his satisfaction.