CHAPTER 17

Amethyst St. Clair's POV

It was only supposed to be a swift trip to New York to pick up Max and then fly back to Italy so he can get acquainted with his father and maybe come up with a plan on how to raise him while his parents live on each side of North Atlantic ocean.

Really, how hard could that be? I asked myself silently. Well, Daniel made it hard for me. He just calls me to inform me that since I went home all of a sudden despite my commission thing in Italy I might as well stay for a few more days so I can attend the scheduled meeting at the office two days from today and his family dinner party tomorrow night.

Looking at Franco now who just announced that he would be staying with us in New York until I am free to go back to Italy.

"You can't be serious," I demanded looking at him with my shocked face.

"I am."

"But what about your work back in Italy?" I asked thinking how busy he was back to his home.

He smiled kindly in my direction. "Don't worry about it. I can take a few days off from work."

I bit my lower lip while weighing my choices. This was not what I am expecting to happen when I agree to come back to fetch Max. "Daniel requires me to attend the dinner party he is hosting in his Hamptons estate follow by a meeting at the office the next day."

"I will come with you." I stared at him in horror. I think he got the wrong impression when I told him about my schedule for the next two days. He must be thinking that I am telling him this so he could accompany me to the dinner tomorrow.

"You will come to Hamptons with us?" I asked with a little squeak in my voice. "How should I tell my family about your presence?"

He grinned at me devilishly. "That's up to you. I think that will not be that hard when Roman and your sister already know my identity so it's up to you how to explain my presence to the rest of the family."

I was not so sure about this whole thing. I could almost imagine Daniel's face when I arrive with him. What if he got the wrong idea about my association with him? Because as far as I am concerned he was nothing but a baby daddy to me.

"From what I can see you are reluctant to tag me along to this family dinner." He remarked with a knowing smile playing on his lips.

I stared at him dryly. "Can you blame me? Your attendance there might give my Granddad a wrong impression about our association. He might hear wedding bells inside his head with your arrival."

"And the thought is so repulsive for you?" He surprised me when he suddenly stand up from the sofa and close the distance between us.

I took several steps backward while giving him a silent warning. "What are you doing?" I whispered menacingly at him while seeing how his light brown eyes gleamed with delight. "Max is looking at us."

"I am not doing anything." He replied suavely. "What makes you think I will do anything to you when our son is looking?" He lowered his head and whispered something in my ear. "I will do that when he's finally asleep."

I glared at him hotly. "Behave yourself."

"For now, I will." He smirked smugly. "But it's an entirely different story when the night comes."

My temper flared at the thought. "What makes you think that you will spend the night here?"

As if on cue, Max spoke from the sofa joining our growing debate. "Mommy, can Daddy stay here with us tonight? He can sleep in my room with me."

It took every ounce of my control not to scowl in their direction. Franco was busy giving me a goading look while our son stare at me expectantly. "I am sure Daddy will not fit in your tiny bed, sweetheart."