Chapter 4

Burrowkit blinked open her eyes. Morning light streamed into the den, warming her pelt, and making her pale brown fur golden. She stretched luxuriously as she waited for her mother and brother to wake up. As she extended her back leg, her paw accidentally hit her mother's nose, and Honeyflower stirred. Burrowkit quickly tucked her legs back under her.

      "Oh, good morning Burrowkit," Honeyflower said drearily, yawning and stretching.

      "Morning," Burrowkit replied. She glanced at her brother and saw that he was stirring. She leaned close to him as he blinked his eyes. It took him a moment to register her face. "Ah!" He leapt back with fear, then he relaxed when he realized it was Burrowkit.

      Honeyflower let out a small chuckle of amusement. "Want me to get you two some fresh-kill? It's about time you tried some."

      "Yes please!" Burrowkit and Dandelionkit said happily in unison. Honeyflower padded out of the den, sweeping her bushy tail over her kits' heads as she went.

      "I need to tell you something," Dandelionkit said in a hushed tone when their mother had left.

      Burrowkit perked her ears curiously. "What is it?" she asked.

      "Well, remember yesterday I went to help Starfur in the medicine den?" Dandelionkit said, still in a hushed voice. "And I learned about some of the herbs? Well I really want to learn more. So," he continued. "I want to train to be a medicine cat."

      "What?" was the first thing that came to Burrowkit's mind. "You want to be a medicine cat? Why?" Burrowkit couldn't imagine being cooped up in camp all day, sorting herbs and treating sick or injured cats. Being a warrior sounded much more fun.

Dandelionkit flattened his ears. "Imagine! Having all that herb knowledge and taking care of the whole Clan. And talking to StarClan!" His eyes glowed as he talked. Burrowkit realized that this was what he really wanted. She gave him an understanding lick on the ear as Honeyflower walked back in holding a couple mice by their tails.

Their mother settled down and laid the mice in front of them. Honeyflower clawed one mouse into smaller pieces and pushed it toward her kits. Burrowkit sniffed it, the enticing smells filling her nostrils. She bit into it. So much flavor! She wolfed down the rest of her piece and licked her lips. She could tell Dandelionkit also enjoyed it.

      "Like it, don't you?" chuckled Honeyflower. Dandelionkit nodded enthusiastically.

      "Delicious!" purred Burrowkit.

      Honeyflower started grooming them. Her rough tongue rasped over Dandelionkit's ears. Burrowkit saw his shoulder's relax. Once she was done with him, she moved onto Burrowkit. "Bleh!" Burrowkit tried to scramble away, but Honeyflower held her in place with her paws.

"I can wash my own fur!" said Burrowkit irritably. "I'm almost an apprentice!"

      "'Almost' isn't 'an apprentice,'" Honeyflower said, continued to lap at Burrowkit's unruly fur.

      Dandelionkit kept glancing around nervously. His gaze finally rested on Honeyflower. "Mom? Can I talk to you?"

      "Sure," said Honeyflower, pausing momentarily from grooming Burrowkit.

      "Well, I really want to be a medicine cat," Dandelionkit said. "Can I?"

      Finished, Honeyflower looked at him in surprise. "If that's what you really want, then yes. I can talk to your father about it."

      Dandelionkit's eyes brightened. "Will you really?" he asked.

"Yes, of course," Honeyflower said. "Come on. Burrowkit," she turned back to her daughter. "Make sure to wait for us here. Don't go anywhere."

As if! Burrowkit thought. But as Honeyflower and Dandelionkit left, the idea of exploring camp on her own sounded really appealing. Peering outside, she made sure Honeyflower and Dandelionkit had disappeared completely into Stonestar's den before padding out of the den and into the open. She saw another den, not far from the nursery, and made a dash for it.

      Before she got very far though, a large black paw stopped her. She looked up into the stern gaze of a dark gray, almost black, warrior. Burrowkit recognized him from the last time she and Dandelionkit had tried to sneak out. She glared at him, and he glared back. Burrowkit tried to struggle away, but the warrior held her in place.

      "What's a little kit doing out of the nursery?" The warrior asked her in a low growl. Burrowkit tried not to flinch away from his intimidating gaze.

      "I wanted to explore!" Burrowkit said boldly.

      "Did your mother say you could?" the warrior retorted. When Burrowkit didn't answer, he said. "I didn't think so, now scurry back to your nest before she catches you." He nodded toward Honeyflower, who was backing out of the leader's den.

      Burrowkit gave and alarmed squeaked and scrambled away. Out of breath, she sat down in the nursery and quickly groomed herself. Honeyflower and Dandelionkit came in a few moments later. Her brother looked so happy, Burrowkit couldn't help but feel excited for him.

      "I'm going to be a medicine cat!" Dandelionkit told her.

      "Congratulations," Burrowkit said, nuzzling him. But I'm going to be a warrior. The best there ever was.