Chapter 6

Starfur felt herself began to relax as Darkmoon helped her back to camp. But her heart was beating so fast, she thought it might burst from her chest.

Darkmoon didn't speak to her, but he did give her a comforting lick on the ear. Starfur felt a warm sensation spread throughout her body at this. Maybe he's not mad at me after all.

They made it back to camp and Starfur gave Dandelionpaw some thyme. "It helps with shock," she explained. Her apprentice licked it up without comment. Starfur guessed he still felt guilty about crossing the border.

"It was just bad luck that a patrol happened to be there," Starfur told him quietly. "Besides, they shouldn't have attacked medicine cats."

Dandelionpaw didn't reply, but he acknowledged her words of comfort with a simple flick of his ears. Starfur hoped he'd come around soon. She didn't need a sad apprentice. Hoping she could cheer him up, she said, "We're going to the Gathering tonight, so you should get some rest before we go."

It must've worked. "Okay," he said, sounding a bit more enthusiastic. He trotted over to then apprentice's den and ducked under the lichen.

      Starfur let out a sigh and settled down in her nest, intending to get some rest, but sleep did not come. She peered out of the den and saw Darkmoon talking to Stonestar. Probably discussing who will go to the Gathering, she thought.

Darkmoon's suddenly turned toward her. Seeing that she was awake, he waved her over with his tail. She got up from her nest and padded over to the toms.

"Starfur," Stonestar greeted. "Will Dandelionpaw be able to go to the Gathering?" he asked, his voice full of concern for his son.

"Yes," Starfur replied. "He's resting now. I'll wake him when it's time to go." She angled her ears toward the apprentice den.

"Great," Stonestar. "Thank you, Starfur." He flicked his tail, showing her that she was dismissed. Starfur dipped her head respectfully and went back to her den.

***

An hour or so later, Starfur peered into the apprentice den. Dandelionpaw was sleeping peacefully, his chest slowly rising and falling.

"Dandelionpaw," she called softly to him and his ears perked up.

He looked up at her, his eyes blinking away sleep. "Time for the Gathering?" he asked. When Starfur nodded, he got up and gave his pelt a quick grooming. Starfur waited patiently, and led him out of the den when he was done.

All the cats that were chosen to go where gathered in the middle of camp. Some cats wished others farewell, while others made their friends promise to tell them all about the Gathering when they got back.

With a swoosh if his tail, Stonestar led them out of camp and into the forest. Starfur found herself walking close to Darkmoon. The dark gray warrior didn't speak to her, as usual.

"Darkmoon?" Starfur began hesitantly in a whisper. No reply, but a simple flick of his ear told her he was listening. She continued, "Why can't we be friends?"

Darkmoon seemed caught off guard by the question, but he quickly regained his composer. "Well, I just don't see us as friends," he muttered. "I see us as more than that." He looked at her with sincere blue eyes, and Starfur was almost knocked off her paws by the wave of emotion she felt coming from him.

"I-I..." Starfur searched for the right words. "Darkmoon... I used to see you that way too...." She looked away as she spoke. But it was true, she used to really like him too, but she knew that the Clan came first. Besides, she was a medicine cat, she could never be a warrior, she knew that right from the start.

Before Darkmoon could reply, they arrived at the Gathering Hollow. Starfur quickly padded off to join the other medicine cats, Dandelionpaw hard on her paws.

      "Hello, Starfur," a pale gray tomcat greeted her.

      "Hey, Oceanwave, Fogpaw," Starfur replied, nodding to him and his apprentice. "This is Dandelionpaw."

      Dandelionpaw gave the two other cats a nervous smile. "Hello," he said.

      "Hi!" Fogpaw replied excitedly.

      A yowl sounded above their heads. Starfur looked up to see Stonestar calling for everyone's attention. All the cats fell silent and looked up expectantly at Stonestar and Willowstar, the BrookClan leader, on top of a fallen tree.

      Stonestar began his report. "We have two new apprentices, Burrowpaw and Dandelionpaw."

      The EchoClan and BrookClan cats started to cheer their names. Burrowpaw, standing beside Griffinpaw and Sparrowpaw, raised her head and accepted the greetings with pride. Dandelionpaw gave his chest fur a couple of embarrassed licks at being stared at.

      When Stonestar finished, Willowstar spoke, "That's all fine, Stonestar, but you have broken the warrior code!"

      Gasps came from the EchoClan cats, followed by snarls of protests. Some of the BrookClan cats even seemed a little shocked by their leader's accusation.

      Stonestar remained calm. "Please explain," he told Willowstar. "I have no idea what your talking about."

      "Don't talk to me like a fool!" Willowstar snarled. "You've been leader for a couple days, and you're already acting like you own the forest as well as the river!"

      Stonestar seemed taken aback. "Willowstar," he said peacefully. "Be reasonable. None of my warriors have crossed the border."

      "Maybe not your warriors," Willowstar hissed. "But your medicine cats!" Starfur felt a shiver of dread run down her spine. She could tell Dandelionpaw felt the same way by the light of fear she saw in his eyes.

      Willowstar continued, "One of them crossed the border, intending to steal precious herbs!"

      Realization came across Stonestar's eyes. Darkmoon must've told him about the border incident. "It was an accident," said Stonestar, but his voice was defensive, obviously protective over his son.

      Willowstar crouched down, her muscles bunching. She was about to lunge at Stonestar, but suddenly, the hollow went dark and everyone looked up. Clouds had drifted across the moon. StarClan was angry.

      "This is not over," Willowstar hissed. She gathered her warriors and left.

      Stonestar sighed and led his Clan out of the hollow. Darkmoon and Stonestar walked side-by-side, talking quietly with their heads close together. Starfur assumed they were discussing Willowstar's brash behavior.

      Dandelionpaw walked close to Starfur. "Is BrookClan going to attack us?" he asked worriedly.

      Starfur didn't know how to answer. Was it possible that Willowstar was planning to attack them? "Probably not," Starfur told him simply. And she hoped it was true.