Chapter 14

It had been quarter moon since the Gathering, and in that time, Willowstar and stepped up border patrols. EchoClan cats were hissed and snarled at, even though they hadn't gone anywhere near the border, EchoClan patrols would report many incidents and arguments over borderlines, and Starfur and Dandelionpaw had their paws full with cats who were constantly getting hurt from BrookClan's attempts to reach them a lesson.

Dandelionpaw followed his mentor through the Star Hollow, their pelts ruffled after a BrookClan patrol had shouted at them.

"Just ignore them," Starfur had whispered as they passed the cats. And she did just that. He thought of Burrowpaw and what she would do if Darkmoon told her to ignore them. Probably something stupid.

      Now, they trekked through the bright forest known as Star Hollow. Dandelionpaw still couldn't believe that a forest looked so beautiful, or enchanting as Starfur put it.

      "Hey, Starfur!" Oceanwave and Fogpaw were rushing toward them. Starfur gave them a small, nod and continued on.

      "Hi, Dandelionpaw," Fogpaw greeted him. "Hi," he replied.

      Oceanwave matched his pace to Starfur's. "I'm sorry about the way my Clanmates are acting," he said. "I have no idea what's gotten into Willowstar."

      "It's not your fault, Oceanwave," Starfur said, but she didn't sound interested in chitchat.

      The quartet arrived at the clearing with the Startree and the medicine cats curled up beside the roots. Soon, Dandelionpaw was engulfed in sleep.

      Screams erupted all around him as EchoClan and BrookClan cats fought furiously. Dandelionpaw's ears rang and he tried to run away from the scene, but his paws wouldn't move. Blood sprayed bright red against the sand as cats clawed at each other. The words of the prophecy were repeated, "Blood will spill between the echoes and the brooks. . . ."

      The battle faded, and he saw himself and Burrowpaw. "Unless you find the two brave enough to look."

      Now he saw EchoClan driving BrookClan back toward the river. The BrookClan cats had been defeated by his Clan. Realization suddenly hit him. He and Burrowpaw were not meant to stop the battle, but they could prevent all out war! EchoClan would win and BrookClan would have learnt not to mess with them.

      But wouldn't it be better just to make peace? he wondered. Surely StarClan doesn't want a battle? But it didn't matter right now, because he and Burrowpaw were apart of the prophecy. He could deal with that aspect later. He had to tell Burrowpaw, and convince her that they had to tell Stonestar.

      When he finally reopened his eyes, he saw that Fogpaw was already awake. The pale gray apprentice was watching him, and when he raised his head, Fogpaw's eyes shone with relief.

      "Can I ask you something?" he asked. When Dandelionpaw nodded, he continued. "Do you think Burrowpaw liked me? She seems cool, but what if she doesn't want to be my friend?"

      Great StarClan. Dandelionpaw sighed inwardly. "I'm sure she thinks you're great," he said reassuringly.

Fogpaw's whole body relaxed and his eyes brightened at those words. "You really think? Well, I guess if you didn't you wouldn't have said that. . . ."

Dandelionpaw didn't listen to the rest of his yammering, as Starfur and Oceanwave were stirring. He padded over to his mentor and sat down beside her golden shape. She opened her eyes and raised her head.

"Did you talk to StarClan?" she asked. Dandelionpaw nodded. "Did you?"

"I saw my mother," she said, a wistful note in her voice. She shook her head and rose to her paws. "Let's go home."

***

"Burrowpaw!" Dandelionpaw called to his sister from the apprentices' den entrance. She flicked her ear and blinked slowly. "I need to talk to you!" he tried to emphasize his urgency, and Burrowpaw must've heard because she sat up and looked at him expectantly.

      "I just got back from the Startree," he said. "They told me we're apart of the prophecy!"

      Burrowpaw's green eyes widened in shock. "Oh, wow," she breathed. "But how are we going to stop BrookClan from attacking us?"

      Dandelionpaw thought. "We don't have to stop them, but we can make sure that we're as prepared as can be. We have to warn the Clan!"