Chapter 20

Dandelionpaw patiently waited for Starfur to finish giving herbs to Phoenixwing, digging his claws into the soft earth.

"I need to give burnet to Phoenixwing," she had said, leaving with the leaves in her jaws. And now Dandelionpaw looked up at the half-moon, wondering what StarClan would share with him tonight. Maybe they would finally give him clear instructions on how to stop BrookClan.

Starfur returned from the nursery a moment later. "Let's go," was all she said before flicking her tail for him to follow her toward the entrance. He obliged, the fur along his spine bristling with excitement.

      The two passed Honeyflower on guard. The pale brown she-cat gave her son a quick lick on the head. "Good luck," she meowed. Dandelionpaw gave her a brief nod and quickened his pace to catch up with his mentor.

As they passed the BrookClan border, Dandelionpaw saw that a guard was posted by the river. Dandelionpaw guessed they were trying catch EchoClan trespassers. Suppressing a growl of annoyance, he ignored the anger that radiated from the warrior as they brushed past him.

A splash sounded behind them and a moment later, Oceanwave and Fogpaw were padding beside them. Dandelionpaw kept his gaze fixed on the trees ahead of them.

"Hey, how's it going?" Fogpaw nudged him. Dandelionpaw tried not to flinch at the cold water that touched his pelt.

"Oh, I'm doing fine," Dandelionpaw replied.

"So, wanna know something cool I noticed?" Fogpaw asked.

"Sure." Dandelionpaw wasn't really interested. He almost wished he and Burrowpaw could switch places. She actually liked talking to other apprentices. Dandelionpaw preferred learning and taking care of his Clanmates. He didn't care for competition or jokes.

"Burrowpaw's you're only littermate right?" Fogpaw said. "Well, I only have one sister too, Purplepaw." He took a moment to shake out the water from his felt, scatteriny the droplets over Dandelionpaw. "So, we're the brothers and we're trying to be medicine cats, and our sisters are training to be warriors!"

"What a coincidence," Dandelionpaw muttered as the medicine cats trotted through the Star Hollow. He glanced around at the shining trees. They brought him a sense of peace, which was relieving after all the tension between BrookClan.

They hopped over the stream that bordered the clearing, it's surface filled with reflections of stars. Dandelionpaw found a comfortable spot between the Startree's roots, and fell asleep with his nose tucked under his tail.

      When he opened his eyes again, he was surrounded by starry trees with pale green grass stretching out for endless fox-lengths.

      "Blood will spill between the echoes and the brooks unless you find the two brave enough to look." The words of the prophecy echoed around him.

      A reddish-brown she-cat appeared in front of him, her amber eyes shining ominously. "The battle is closer than you think," she said.

      "When is it?" Dandelionpaw pressed. "Please tell me!"

      But the cat was already by fading. Dandelionpaw jerked awake, his fur bristling. He had to tell Burrowpaw.

***

Dandelionpaw and Starfur padded into camp. Starfur's face was a mixture of hope and sadness that left him confused. But he didn't pry, he had more pressing matters to worry about.

      As soon as he saw Burrowpaw, he hurried over to her. His sister was lying next to her fellow apprentice Sparrowpaw, with a plump mouse between them.

      "I need to talk to you," he said in a hushed voice to his sister.

      Sparrowpaw raised his head. "Hey, Dandelionpaw."

      "Oh, hi," he said awkwardly. He was growing impatient.

       Seeing the urgency in Dandelionpaw's face, Burrowpaw said, "Okay I'm coming. Bye, Sparrowpaw!"

      The littermates trotted side-by-side down toward the training clearing. It took all of Dandelionpaw's strength to wait until they arrived.

      When they did, Burrowpaw sat down in front of him and looked at Dandelionpaw expectantly. "So? Did you see something at the Startree?"

      Dandelionpaw nodded. "A StarClan warrior came to me. She said, 'the battle is closer than you  think.'"

      "Oh," Burrowpaw didn't look surprised. "Well, I think we both kind of knew that."

      "We need to tell Stonestar!" Dandelionpaw said. "We've kept this to ourselves for way too long. If BrookClan is attacking soon, then our Clanmates need to know."

      "Yes," Burrowpaw said. "And when they do attack, we'll be prepared."