Chapter 27

Starfur had to put more concentration on making sure her paws didn't shake, than actually treating her patient. Stonestar had dragged Darkmoon over for herbs and now he lay begrudgingly on his side, staring at the battling cats. EchoClan was slowly pushing BrookClan back toward the river.

      "I should be out there helping them," Darkmoon growled.

      Starfur leaned down and rested her nose against his forehead. "They'll be fine without you."

Darkmoon let out a doubtful grunt, but didn't push her away. Instead, he focused his attention of the cats below. Starfur could see many BrookClan cats starting to flee. Willowstar's face was stricken with fear as she battled her way forward, but it was no use.

EchoClan had won.

"Retreat!" Willowstar shrieked, choking with rage.

Most of the BrookClan cats had already dived back into they river and were frantically swimming back to their island camp. Only Willowstar, Lionstripe, Blacktail, Butterflywing, and Opalshine has remained. And now, they were following their Clanmates back to safety.

Burrowpaw was the first to let out a jubilant cry, closely followed by Griffinwing and Sparrowfeather. Stonestar also joined them, gazing around at his cats proudly.

Starfur gave Darkmoon a lick on the base of his ear. "We did it."

Darkmoon sighed, closed his eyes, and leaned into her warmth. Starfur swept her tail around to twine around his.

***

Starfur helped Darkmoon back to camp, following behind the rest of their Clan. Starfur felt an immense sense of joy wash over her as the camp came into view.

Dandelionpaw was waiting for them when they returned, his face looking on with concern.

Stonestar bounded forward, leaping onto the Echostone. "Oh" he yowled triumphantly.

The surrounding cats added their voices. Starfur joined in, her tail curled around Darkmoon's. The two cats were sitting side-by-side, their fur brushing, dark gray against gold. Starfur felt she could never be happier.