Chapter 22

"Burrowpaw!" Darkmoon's voice sounded outside the den, jerking the pale brown she-cat awake. She scrambled out of her nest and came to stand in front of him.

      "What are we doing today?" she asked, stifling a yawn.

      "Team hunting for Sparrowpaw and Griffinpaw's warrior assessment," Darkmoon told her, leading her toward the patrol. It consisted of the apprentices and their mentors, along with the young warrior Mousesqueak. Ashpetal flicked her tail and led them out of camp.

      "Alright," the dark gray warrior said. "Sparrowpaw you'll be paired up with Burrowpaw, and Griffinpaw and Mousesqueak can hunt together. Bring back as much prey as you can. We'll be watching you, but you won't see us. Ready? Go!"

      "Where shall we hunt?" Burrowpaw asked Sparrowpaw in a low voice.

      "We should take advantage of the sun and find somewhere not as crowded," Sparrowpaw suggested. "The prey will be basking in the warmth."

      "Good idea," Burrowpaw agreed. "Lead the way!"

      Sparrowpaw and Burrowpaw trotted away from their mentors, looking for a clearing where sun would shine down. Burrowpaw kept her ears pricked and her mouth open, drinking in the scents of the forest. She stopped when she scented a squirrel.

      "I smell something!" she informed her Clanmate.

      When they both looked through the branches, they saw a squirrel resting on a low branch dappled wit sunlight. The creature was unaware of their presence, and when Burrowpaw checked the wind, it was blowing toward them.

      "Go around, behind the squirrel," Sparrowpaw instructed. "And jump onto the branch. If you can't catch it, then you'll at least chase it over to me."

      Burrowpaw nodded and started to make a wide circle around the tree. The squirrel didn't notice. She got as close as she dared to the branch, then sprang upward. She landed close to the trunk, cutting off that escape route. But  she was unable to grab it before it leapt down and made for the next tree.

      Sparrowpaw lunged out from behind it and trapped the squirrel, dealing a quick bite, for a painless death. "Thank you StarClan for this prey," he whispered.

      "Wow!" Burrowpaw trotted over to him. "Great catch!"

      "We work well together," Sparrowpaw said, giving her an affectionate nudge.

      Burrowpaw purred. "Come on," she said, nodding toward the trees. "We need to make sure you pass your assessment!"

***

The two apprentices had just caught a sparrow when Ashpetal came out of the bushes. "Fabulous work, you two," she purred. "Let's go meet up with the others."

      She led them over to the training clearing where Darkmoon, Glarespot, Griffinpaw, and Mousesqueak were sitting. They had caught a couple mice and a large thrush.

      Burrowpaw proudly held up the two voles she'd caught, while Sparrowpaw carried the squirrel and sparrow.

      "Good job, Sparrowpaw and Griffinpaw," Glarespot praised. "You passed."

      The littermates exchanged a delighted glance and followed their mentors back to camp. Burrowpaw padded beside Darkmoon and Mousesqueak, a few pawsteps behind the others.

      When they reached camp, Stonestar was there to greet them. "Well?" he asked.

      "Griffinpaw and Sparrowpaw earned their place in the Clan as warriors," Ashpetal told him, dipping her head respectfully.

      Stonestar smiled at the two apprentices before turning around and leaping onto the Echostone. "All cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather around the Echostone for a Clan meeting."

      Cats started to form a crowd below him as he spoke, murmuring to one and other.

      "Today I'll preform one of the most important duties as a Clan leader, making new warriors." He looked down at the apprentices. "Sparrowpaw, Griffinpaw, please step forward." He leapt down to stand in front of the littermates.

      "I, Stonestar, leader of EchoClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these two apprentices," he said. "They have trained hard to understand the ways or your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn." He looked down into their eager eyes. "Sparrowpaw, Griffinpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your lives?"

      "I do," Griffinpaw said, her voice full of determination and confidence.

      "I do," replied the excited voice of Sparrowpaw, his tail waving happily.

     "Then by the powers of StarClan I give you your warrior names. Griffinpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Griffinwing, StarClan honors your bravery and skill in battle." Stonestar rested his muzzle on the she-cat's head, while Griffinwing gave his shoulder a respectful lick.

      Stonestar turned to Sparrowpaw. "From this moment on you will be known as Sparrowfeather. StarClan honors your thoughtfulness and quick thinking, and welcome you as a full warrior of EchoClan." Stonestar stepped forward to place his muzzle on Sparrowfeather's bowed head, while the new warrior copied his sister in licking his leader's shoulder.

      "Sparrowfeather!" Burrowpaw yowled, and the cats around her joined in. "Griffinwing! Sparrowfeather!"

      She ran forward to greet her Clanmate. "Great name!" she purred, giving Sparrowfeather's ear a lick.

      The young tom returned the gesture. "Thank you, Burrowpaw," he said.

      "Sparrowfeather! Griffinwing!" Darkmoon called over to them, his voice impatient.

      "I have no idea how you deal with him as you mentor," Griffinwing gave her a playful shove. "He's the grumpiest furball the Clan's ever seen!" She bounded away toward the deputy.

      Burrowpaw ignored her comment. "Bye!" she called. Sparrowfeather waved his tail, then ran over to join his sister.

      Burrowpaw sighed. "She couldn't wait to be a warrior. Oh, how nice it would be to not have to listen to Darkmoon all the time!