Chapter 23

BrookClan is going to attack any second now.

This is what Dandelionpaw had been thinking for the past couple of days as he saw more, and more guards at the border. Willowstar herself had come down to the river just to threaten them. No border crossing had actually happened, but BrookClan still seemed on edge.

Maybe they won't attack after all, he thought, trying to calm his nerves as he followed his Clan toward the Gathering Hollow. Maybe Burrowpaw and I actually stopped it. No one has crossed the border, so they have no reason to attack.

BrookClan had arrived first. Their fur was bristling and they glared at the approaching EchoClan cats. Dandelionheart didn't meet their hostile gazes as he followed his mentor to the ring of medicine cats by the base of the Fallenoak. Stonestar joined Willowstar on top, overlooking the other Clans.

      "BrookClan is as strong as ever," Willowstar began gruffly. "We have reinforced our borders and have named a new warrior, Purpleshade."

      "Purpleshade! Purpleshade!" BrookClan cheered the loudest, with a couple of other EchoClan cats. Fogpaw's voice was raised the loudest, excited for his sister.

      When they were done, he noticed Fogpaw slipping away from the group. Dandelionpaw followed his pale gray shape all the way to his sister, Burrowpaw. He longed to follow them, to find out why they were being suspicious, but he didn't feel like he could leave Starfur's side for long enough.

      "EchoClan is also doing well this greenleaf," Stonestar said, stepping forward. "We have two new warriors among us, Sparrowfeather and Griffinwing."

      Dandelionheart raised his voice along with his Clanmates. "Sparrowfeather! Griffinwing!" None of the BrookClan cats joined them.

      "Then this Gathering is at an end," Willowstar growled, and leaped off the Fallenoak. She gathered her Clanmates with a sweep of her tail and led them back toward the river.

      Stonestar did the same for his own Clan, leading them into the forest, back to camp.

      "There you are," he said as Burrowpaw caught up to him. "What were you and Fogpaw doing?"

      Dandelionheart noticed her stiffen slightly. "Were friends, that's all," she replied stiffly. "We wanted to chat."

      As she ran ahead of him, he couldn't help but wondering if there was more to it than that. Is it really a good idea to be friends with a BrookClan cat? Especially now?

      As they got back to camp, Scarletpetal rushed up to him and Starfur. The red she-cat looked panic-stricken.

      "Scarletpetal, calm down!" Starfur looked concerned. "What's the matter?"

      Scarletpetal shook her head and looked up at Starfur. "Phoenixwing's having her kits!"