Chapter 10

"And then, it saw me!" Griffinpaw was saying. "But it was too terrified to run! So I was able to catch it easily, Glarespot was super impressed."

      Burrowpaw was sitting with Griffinpaw and Sparrowpaw inside the apprentice's den. It was early in the morning and Griffinpaw had just got off dawn patrol and was telling the other two about her latest catch.

      "I bet the bird was part worm if it let her catch it," Sparrowpaw whispered. Burrowpaw giggled. "Totally," she agreed.

      "It was not!" Griffinpaw flared, overbearing them. "It was the fattest blackbird ever! Glarespot said so." Her expression turned from angry to smug in a heartbeat. "Even Stonestar was impressed."

      "Stonestar only acts impressed because he doesn't want to show favor to his daughter," Burrowpaw replied. "Oh, but I'm sure he thought it was great," she added with a smirk.

      Griffinpaw looked about to protest when a dark head poked through the lichen. "Burrowpaw, it's time for training. Sparrowpaw, you're coming with us," Darkmoon said.

      "Bye, Griffinpaw," Sparrowpaw said to his sister. Griffinpaw just glared after them. Sparrowpaw shrugged and followed Burrowpaw out of the den.

      Darkmoon and Ashpetal were waiting for them. When the two apprentices joined them, the patrol headed out. Sparrowpaw padded close beside Burrowpaw and occasionally brushed against her. Burrowpaw thought this was kinda weird, but she didn't mind it. Sparrowpaw was nice, and it made her happy to know he liked her.

"What kind of training are we doing?" Burrowpaw asked.

Darkmoon glanced back and lashed his tail. "Battle training."

Burrowpaw gave her denmate a mischievous glance. "I'm going to win!" she said, her eyes gleaming. Sparrowpaw grinned.

The patrol arrived at the training clearing. Darkmoon and Ashpetal demonstrated some battle moves that involved Ashpetal lunging at Darkmoon. Her mentor reared up on his hind paws and brought his weight down on Ashpetal. The two cats got up and turned to their apprentices.

      "Wow!" Burrowpaw gasped. "I want to try that!"

      "It can be dangerous, because you need to expose your underbelly," Ashpetal explained. "So you have to be quick."

      "Got it!" Burrowpaw said, and faced Sparrowpaw.

      "Ready?" Sparrowpaw asked.

"Attack me!" Burrowpaw said with anticipation.

Sparrowpaw sprang forward and Burrowpaw reared up, but she wasn't able to balance herself and Sparrowpaw knocked her onto her back.

"Let me try again!" Burrowpaw puffed and got up, facing her denmate once more. Sparrowpaw lunged and Burrowpaw was more prepared this time. She didn't raise her forepaws as much, and she was able to balance herself better and bring herself onto Sparrowpaw and pin him underneath her.

"Good job," Darkmoon praised begrudgingly. He was still his normal, grouchy self, but Burrowpaw was happy that she had gotten at least a small compliment out of him.

***

"Burrowpaw, Sparrowpaw!" Stonestar came bounding over to them, Griffinpaw on his heels. "We're going to the Startree."

"Really?" disbelief edged Burrowpaw's voice. "Isn't it sacred though? I thought only medicine cats and leaders went there."