Chapter 21

Starfur looked over Darkmoon's wounds. He'd come back to her den for checkups every single day, when the other cats wounded on the patrol had gone back to their duties days ago. She suspected he was just trying to spend time with her.

"You can go back to your warrior duties," Starfur said finally, her voice edged with amusement.

      Darkmoon gave her a serious look. "Thank you."

      Starfur flicked her tail across his nose. "You should go and organize patrols, Clan deputy."

     Darkmoon snorted, his eyes glinting. "I already did that, dear medicine cat."

      Starfur laughed. "Go away," she purred. "I have medicine cat things to do."

      "Oh," Darkmoon said innocently. "Don't let me interrupt you." He dramatically bowed his head and backed out of the den.

      Starfur stared after him, affection bubbling up inside her chest. She started at the sound of her apprentice.

      "What was that all about?" Dandelionpaw asked incredulously. "Burrowpaw tells me he's always grumpy, but he acts completely differently around you."

      "Oh, it's nothing," Starfur said quickly. "I'm sure he'll be back to his normal self after resting a bit."

      "Hmm." Dandelionpaw didn't seem that interested. "I want to talk to you and Stonestar," he said.

      Ears perked in surprise, she followed him out of the den. Her confusion rose when he called his sister out of the apprentices' den. The three stopped at Stonestar's den.

      "Stonestar? Can we speak to you?" Dandelionpaw asked.

      The pale gray tom came up to the entrance. "Of course." He beckoned them in and sat down. "What do you need?"

      Dandelionpaw took a deep breath and said, "StarClan spoke to me."

      Stonestar just nodded, urging him to go on. Starfur looked at him with interest.

      "They gave me a prophecy," Dandelionpaw continued. "Blood will spill between the echoes and the brooks, unless you find the two brave enough to look."

      Shock rippled through Starfur as she listened. StarClan gave me and Stonestar the same prophecy.

      "StarClan gave me another vision," Dandelionpaw said. "They said that Burrowpaw and I were the 'two brave enough to look'. And they spoke to me again last night, informing me that the attack is closer than we think." Dandelionpaw paused. "I think BrookClan is going to spring a surprise attack on us, and it's mine and Burrowpaw's destiny to warn you."

Stonestar gave him a long look. "Thank you. I'll be sure to increase patrols and battle training. When BrookClan attacks, we'll be prepared."

***

"Hey, Starfur," Darkmoon said, appearing by her side near a sunny spot in camp.

"Oh, hi," Starfur replied, raising her head.

"Stonestar wants me to train you in some basic defensive moves," he said. "Since, you know, BrookClan is probably going to attack soon, and you'll need to be able to defend yourself."

"Oh, yeah," Starfur murmured. "Um, sure." She followed him out of camp and toward the training hollow. She forced her fur to lie flat, knowing that no matter how bad she did, Darkmoon wouldn't judge her.

When they arrived, Darkmoon dropped into a crouch in front of her. "A simple way to dissuade an opponent is to act threatening." As an example, he bushed up his dark gray fur, and bared his teeth.

Sighing, Starfur tried to match him. She let the fur rise along her spine, bared her own teeth, and let her tail lash back and forth.

"Pretty good," Darkmoon praised. "Make sure to add some some swipes in." He lashed out his paw. "If you manage to get in a scratch, they might leave you alone."

Starfur nodded, lashing out her own paw, catching it on Darkmoon's ear. The tom let out a playful growl and lunged at her. Him and Starfur rolled around on the ground, swiping at each other with claws sheathed.

"I wish it could be like this everyday," Starfur said with a happy sigh.

"Soon," Darkmoon promised her, licking her nose.

"I can't wait," Starfur breathed, twining her tail with his.