Chapter 1

Rayble was enjoying a beautiful dream until an irritating sound woke him. There was tapping against his bedroom window. He pretended like it didn't exist as he tossed in his bed. More tapping. He peeked and saw his nightmare staring at him with menacing eyes. Those evil creatures, Korugals. Even in his bed, he wasn't safe. More crawled, crept, and slithered their way up around the frame, clawing their way in. This day was bound to happen sooner or later.

Rayble said a prayer, "Father freeze these frightening beasts in their place." Their hot breath fogged up his window. It worked for some of the older defenders, but not young Rayble. He didn't feel like getting out of bed, much less into the cold night. He could hear their awful screeches and cries. There seemed to be three or more of them just at his house, but it was hard to see in the dark. The light from within his room revealed bloodshot eyes, cat-like ears, black and white fur, scrawny bodies, and their short stumpy legs with knife-like claws. Tails, as long as their torso, smacked against the window, and recklessly smacked into one another.

Rayble sat up to grab a book next to his bed. It was leather-bound with golden-edged pages. He pressed it against the window. "Begone foul beasts! Be banished in the Presence of my God!" The sudden slam of the book may have alarmed them for a moment, but they pressed on, scratching at the window.

It was no use, he had to get out of bed and presume his responsibility. He rubbed his eyes, stretched his arms, pushed off his covers, and took his time to put on his plated armor, thinking maybe the others would take care of the beasts by the time he left his house. And yet at the same time, there was excitement within, and another part of him was eager to demonstrate all that he had learned. It was his time to show he could be a defender of Mirago.

Into the night he went, and all around him, Korugals overtook the town. He knelt by the young golden Spear tree in his garden, one he planted himself. It stood small but valiantly next to his grandfather's towering tree. All defenders had Spear trees. They dropped the seeds that protected Mirago for many years. Rayble broke the cone and took the seed he needed. Plain and brown, but within it was everything he needed to fight off the Korugals. "Bless this seed, Father. And bless its wielder. Give us the power and strength to drive these beasts out of here and bring safety to our town!"

Rayble held the seed up to the Korugals who were once at his window and now crept towards him. Rayble stood in absolute stillness as the Korugals came closer and closer. "Have faith, have faith, have faith" He mumbled, partly closing his eyes and partly peeking at the oncoming threat. Their jaws widened and Rayble could feel their hot breath upon him. "Forget it!" Rayble yelped, clenching the seed in his fist and fleeing to the outer perimeter of the town. "I need the others."

At the edge of town, a line of older men in silver armor, glimmering in the moon's light, held out their hands, Spear seed between fingers. Massive opaque shields rippling with reflected colors protruded from each seed. Korugals snapped and snarled, pressing their faces against the invisible barriers, inches away from nabbing the defenders. More defenders joined in, pressing back Korugals that got into town. They tumbled awkwardly backward until the defenders locked in with the others, further completing the perimeter's wall.

Rayble's mentor, Moreth motioned for him to come closer. He backed off the line and with full trust ordered Rayble to fill in his spot. "I'm going into town to drive back any others that got past our defense. Take my spot. God be with us." Rayble nodded but felt a drop in his stomach. He hoped he wouldn't mess up. He hoped he could do it. Now was his chance, but his confidence laid on the floor like scattered crumbs. Yet he knew he had to act fast.

As Moreth vanished beyond houses, Rayble stepped in. He held out his seed. "God, whose power dwells within me, grow this seed, let it be a shield against our enemies, strong and secure, never faltering." Rayble's eyes squeezed, his teeth tight, and young forehead wrinkled like the older men who stood on both sides of him. The Korugals must have sensed an opening in the defense because they angled themselves towards Rayble. "Please, please, please" Rayble begged. Despite Rayble's inner trembling, he held the seed with complete stillness. It was a skill he trained with his grandpa since he was a toddler. A rumble then a piercing sound as the opaque wall and all its perplexing colors protruded from Rayble's fingertips. The Korugals jammed their heads and bodies against it. He did it. He blocked the blasted beasts.

The defenders cheered. Moreth and a few others pushed more enemies out from inside. Soon, the Korugals gave up and retreated. The walls retracted back within their seeds, cracking them. As a tradition, the defenders raised their cracked Spear seeds and ate them. Moreth placed his hand on Rayble's shoulder and gave him a nod of approval. "I'm proud of you Rayble. You played an important role. We all did. As long as we stand together and trust in God, our city will be kept safe." Rayble nodded back. He tried to stay formal, but couldn't hide his smile.