Chapter 11

They enjoyed one another's company for a long time, until the storm had passed, and then continued to be with one another after that up until Kessa's cube felt like exploring.

Kessa naturally noticed first that her cube was starting to move. She playfully pulled on Rayble's hand, tugging him along as she followed. They weaved through other Marians in the dark, past homes and businesses. Every once in awhile the cube would stop as if to inspect an area. Kessa and Rayble would stop with it and giggle as they got close to one another again. Before they got too comfortable, her cube would be on the move again, and they would go after to see where the next stop would be. It became a game where they would guess what the cube wanted to inspect at each stop.

The game ended when they realized the cube was taking them back up to the surface, away from the others. Kessa started to get nervous, wondering if her father's claims were true, that Rayble disrupted the cubes, nevertheless, she held on tightly to his hand as they arrived at the top. They were surrounded by the ruins of the old city with New Geran and its few flickering lights in the canyon below them. Her pack, also below them.

Kessa's cube didn't give them much time to think or speak. It then pulled them through a maze of arches, pillars, and walls until they came to a large pile of rubble. The cube climbed the rubble to the top and Kessa had to let go of Rayble to climb after it. Rayble stayed close behind. The top of the pile was higher than much of the crumbled city. It offered a good view of their surroundings and the far reaches of the dry desert in every direction. Just then the sun peaked its head over the horizon and a wave of light pushed against the night. Its appearance offered a moment of refreshing hope as the two enjoyed it together.

"My cube acts a bit strange sometimes, and I don't fully understand it, but maybe at this moment, when we thought it was leading us to danger, it instead wanted us to witness something beautiful."

After the sun finished rising, she looked at Rayble. "I don't know much about you Rayble, but I want to. However, I don't know if it's worth it to be with me. Everything is so complicated, our people are so different. I don't know if it can work."

"Whatever it takes, it's worth it to be with you. I've never felt so strongly connected with someone. Kessa, I am crazy about you. I don't care about anything else. We will make us work."

Kessa's cube traveled back down the rubble and the two followed it. But instead of taking them back to New Geran, it shifted off into a different direction.

"Oh no, not again cube. I don't know if I can take another surprise. Please, don't go too far." Said Kessa.

It wasn't long till they realized the cube was leaving the Ruins of Geran, and headed straight into the empty desert.

"This is not good, Rayble!" cried Kessa. "I need to be with my pack! There are too many dangers out there."

Rayble hid his worry and reassured her, "Whatever happens Kessa, I will protect you. I promise."

Further and further they strayed from the dry rocky terrain of Geran, and into the softer shifting sands. The sun's heat increased with every step as Kessa's cube showed no signs of stopping. It continued to drag them out into endless waves of sand, with the pillars, towers, and piles of rock and rubble shrinking behind them.

Kessa opened up her red umbrella to block the sun's hot rays. Rayble used the telescope to look out into the direction they were heading. Where could the cube be taking them, he wondered. Surely, not to their deaths? A cube wouldn't do that, would it? As long as she was near it, she would be okay. But what about him? The cube offered no food, drink, or rest. Was Kessa right? Was this relationship impossible?

A few scattered large rocks lay ahead. Was the cube interested in more rock climbing? Regardless, it could offer them another beneficial vantage point, or at least some momentary shade. As they came closer, Rayble noticed some other shapes and movement around the rocks.

Korugals.

Kessa must have noticed the shift in Rayble's expression after he pulled the telescope away. "What is it?" she asked.

Rayble fished in his pockets for a Spear seed. Sweat dripped down his forehead and past his widened eyes. The seeds fumbled between his fingertips. He counted two left. He played out potential strategies in his head. Once a barrier was protruded from a seed, Rayble could then slowly move and push the Korugals back. The only issue was it took some moments of stillness before the barrier would come out. If he tried bringing the barrier out now, Kessa and the cube may continue forward ahead of him, defeating the purpose of the shield. Then once the shield fully expanded, he most likely wouldn't be able to push it ahead of them in time to protect Kessa from the Korugals.

The cube continued closer until Kessa could see the Korugals that awaited them. The Korugals stared with heightened alertness at the boy and girl. Their long tails wagged, brushing up clouds of sand. Ears perked and eyes widened, their mouths opened with drool dripping from between their sharp teeth. They waited patiently for their meals to walk right into their mouths.

Rayble struggled to come up with a plan. If the cube stopped at the rocks, he could project a barrier with their backs to the rocks, keeping the Korugals to one side of them. Then it would be a waiting game. Thankfully, Korugals weren't very patient and got frustrated very easily. But how would he angle them appropriately, and how would the barrier grow from the seed in time? It wasn't likely. He may have to improvise.

No matter what, he would defend Kessa as he promised.