Chapter 12

Closer and closer they came to colliding with danger, and Rayble had no ideas left. There was nothing he could do but swing an umbrella at a pack of the top predators of the desert. He knew that wouldn't work. He was afraid and seeing fear on the face of Kessa made him even more afraid. He felt helpless. He couldn't do anything to save her. But there was someone who could.

As the cube pulled them to the beasts, Rayble prayed. "God, save us. Forgive me for not coming to you first. You are in control. I surrender all control to you, Lord. Our lives are in your hands. Please, Almighty, Merciful God, save us."

The cube still moved, the Korugals still waited. They were almost upon them. Rayble could stop and save himself. No, he couldn't think like that. He must trust in God. "God, save us from our enemies. I trust in you, whatever the outcome."

The cube and the boy and girl arrived. Surrounded by large rocks and hungry animals. The cube slowed its pace to a halt, dead center.

Kessa and Rayble braced themselves, umbrella and telescope ready to be swung. The Korugals surrounded them but didn't move. Their tails no longer swung but sat at a rest. Their jaws closed. Their eyes, no longer eager to eat.

Would Rayble use his Spear seed now to shield Kessa and him, while he had the chance? No need, God had already moved and tamed the wild beasts.

Rayble pet the nearest one. Brushing his fingers through its fur, between its pointy ears. It reminded him of Ruggy, and he missed home. Rayble sat against the rock, underneath its shade. The cube hovered in stillness.

"I'm tired," Rayble said. "I may sleep for just a little bit." Kessa nodded, and Rayble closed his eyes and rested among the Korugals.

When he awoke, he found Kessa sitting close by with a Korugal lying beside her. She had her hand upon its back and petted it gently.

Almost as if the cube had waited for his nap to finish, it began to move shortly after. They bid the Korugals farewell and headed back into the empty desert. Rayble was unsure where God would lead them next, but now more than before trusted His path and the path of the cube.