Chapter 8

Rayble made it to the opposite end of town without being stopped. Leaving behind his friend and the defenders made him feel uneasy. His whole walk through Mirago he felt anxious and sick. If a person he recognized would have caught him, he may have thrown up and complained of sickness. His hands were still shaking when he reached inside his satchel and pulled out the telescope. His plans were to gift it to Kessa, but now it came perfectly handy to use for himself. Twisting its old Asparite parts to adjust for distance, he looked out into the distance, careful not to direct it into the sun which now in its setting phase burned red like the clouds he left behind.

Sand dunes shifted and brimblebrushes rolled in the wind. There was not much to look at. Finally as he scanned a little more to the left, he saw many human figures crowded together at the edge of the horizon, nearly vanishing from his telescopes view. They had traveled far, Rayble noting that they must have left hours ago. He would have to move quickly to catch up, but he knew he wouldn't be able to reach them before dark. He would have to travel through the night, remembering that Marians did not rest. Then Rayble smacked his head when he realized he didn't pack anything for this trip. He hadn't eaten all day, the thought of it made his stomach growl. He had no warm clothes for the night, the thought of it made him shiver. He was tired and beat up, the thought of it made him want to turn back. But he could not turn back now. The shame would be too great. He had to endure. He had to see Kessa again. He nodded to himself, as if to accept the terms of the current situation and sprung towards the challenge of the desert, to meet the girl who stole his heart with a smile.

A couple Rakabu's played ahead as clouds shifted overhead and the hot red sunset turned into a softer pink. One would hide in a hole from the other, and the other would hop in after it, only for the first one to pop out of a hole somewhere else. Rayble slowed his pace almost to a stop. He picked up a medium sized rock in one hand and waiting for one to pop out of a hole close to him. As soon as he saw their long ears begin to surface, he threw the rock as hard as he could at its head. It hit! To be sure the Rakabu was dead he quickly tossed another, stopping all its movement with a final thud. The other Rakabu had quickly fled. Rayble put the animal in his satchel and walked on. He didn't have time to build a fire and cook it, nor the resources but at least he had food available.

Night arrived with the cold. Rayble didn't feel it right away. His skin still clung to the warmth of the day. He was also warm from walking quickly for so long. It felt as if he had been walking all day. The sooner he got to the Marians, the sooner he would find the warmth of Kessa's smile. Maybe she would hold his shivering body to warm him up. The thought was all he needed to push on despite his anguishing muscles.

Then doubt seeped its ugly way in. What if she had forgotten all about him? They had only met for a moment. What if she greets him with confusion and contempt? Would he be a burden to her and her people? He needed food, water, rest, shelter and they did not. He still knew nothing about the Marians. What were their customs? Laws? Did they accept outsiders to travel with them? It's not like he could take Kessa and return home to Mirago. She had to follow the cube. That darn cube.

Rayble stopped, dropped his head and fell to his knees. "What am I doing?" He managed to say between pants for breath. His eyes watered and fingers gripped at the sand. "I am such a fool." Tears fell from his eyes and watered the desert underneath him. His satchel dropped off his shoulder and he rolled to his back, eyes clenched tightly shut, squeezing the tears out of the corners of his eyes. When he opened them back up, a million or more stars greeted him. Their lights flickered above, calmly, and quietly. They captured his attention and captured his thoughts. Body and mind now relaxed, he soon drifted off to sleep.