Chapter 2

Rayble returned home in the early morning. Upon opening the door a Korugal charged at him with a mouth open wide filled with pointy teeth. Its long tail slid back and forth, knocking a few things in the house around. Suddenly, it lifted its stubby forelegs, towering above Rayble and falling towards him. Rayble wrapped his arms around the fuzzy creature. "Ruggy!" He acclaimed, hugging it tightly as it danced in a balance on its hind legs. It's mouth now closed and drooling profusely on Rayble's armor.

His grandfather sat further back in the room, awake. He called Ruggy back to him. It was his pet Korugal that he tamed long ago when he was a defender. He was an original defender, captain of the guard. He helped build the town of Mirago. By driving out the Korugal's that lived here, he helped clear the oasis for his people to thrive. Together they built the city of Mirago around the land's water source, now known as the fountains of Mirago. Not only did he drive out the Korugals, raise a group of guards to keep them out, but he also had been the only one to tame the beasts. His grandfather was a legend. He raised Rayble alone since he was little. Rayble respected him and looked up to him. Every year anticipating with joy the day he too would become a defender like his grandfather.

Rayble began to remove the heavy armor pieces as he chatted excitedly about the events that transpired in the moonlight. "You should have seen me, grandfather, there must have been nearly a hundred of them, and I stood there with the rest of the defenders, my seed bursting forth a barrier at the last moment! It was a massive success and we all ate the seeds afterward. My first one, and like you said it didn't really taste like anything."

His grandfather smiled as he pushed his fingers through Ruggy's fur. "I knew you'd make an excellent defender, Rayble." The words must have been his first of the day, coming to a surprise to his throat, because afterward, he let out a harsh dry cough. It had been two weeks and the sickness showed no sign of retreat. "God" Rayble would pray, "Won't you please heal my grandfather?" But Rayble never received any sign of response.

After clearing his throat, grandfather spoke again. "Rayble, I had that dream again. The one with the healer in the strange land. The people in the strange land, although they look much different than us, they have the same sickness. But the healer cures them of it, with just a touch of his hand. It's so vivid, it's so clear, it must be a vision or prophecy or something from God. I can feel it deep within my bones that it's true."

Rayble stared into the fireplace. Fire actively flicked around. The days were hot in dusty Mirago, but the nights cold. Mountains seen beyond their town frequently were covered in snow. A strange stark white against their red desert. Although early, the sun's heat was felt quickly. Either grandfather had been up since dark waiting for him, or his body was cold with feverish chills.

Entranced by the flames, wide-eyed, without moving he recited his automatic response, "Hallucinations are just part of the sickness." Rayble then thought, that even if it were proved to be true there's nothing he can do about some healer in a far off unknown land. He had a duty to protect Mirago. Moreth and the other defenders depended on him. Yet, of course, Rayble wanted his grandfather to get well. But he tried not to think too long about it. He was frightened by the idea of anything happening to the only family he had left. He denied any possibility of anything bad happening. Ruggy gave Rayble a nudge with his head.

Grandfather spoke, "Many others in the town are getting sick. Some have passed. The reality is that it's not looking good. It may be that the only thing we can do is pray."

Rayble turned, avoiding eye contact with his grandfather, afraid that it would hurt too much to see again the sicknesses toll on his grandfather. He made his way to his room. "I'm tired, grandfather." Perhaps catching up on his sleep would relieve some of his cranky spirit.

"Of course." Grandfather replied. "You have been up all night fighting Korugals and saving the town, after all."