Chapter 18

A force of red clouds touching sky and earth barged at the border of Mirago. Slices of skin cutting winds slipped through cracks in the transparent walls the defenders held up. Another storm hitting the town and Rayble stood in the distance at the crossroads of a decision. Would he jump in and help the others, or run away? This was his chance to redeem himself. He sprinted as fast as he could toward the action, hoping he hadn't arrived too late.

Entering the town he had to stop by his garden to fetch a Spear seed. There was plenty, so he grabbed a handful just in case. He wanted so badly to check inside the house for his grandfather and make sure he was well, but there was no time. If he wanted to defend the city, he had to act now and not let any distractions get in the way, no matter how much they meant to him. Checking on his grandfather would just be another excuse to run away from his fears again. So, with seeds in hand, Rayble pressed on to the perimeter where the tumultuous storm whipped and whistled.

Upon arriving Rayble quickly assessed the situation. Every defender from the town stood side by side, valiantly holding out their seeds in front of them as the red clouds pushed fiercely against them, threatening to cut them into pieces if they were to flinch in the slightest. There were gaps to be sure, for there were not enough defenders to cover the full length of Mirago with their barriers. Therefore, they spaced themselves out the best they could. Where would Rayble go? None of the defenders knew he was there for their backs were to him and they were far too focused on the threat in front of them. He tried calling out, but the wind's roar muzzled the sound. So, Rayble gaged where he would be the most helpful by looking for the largest gap.

Once he found an adequate spot, he moved in with seed held out, bracing for the inevitable initial cuts he would have to endure. The wind sliced across his face and tore at his clothes. Thankfully, God put the seed to work quickly, springing forth a barrier to protect Rayble, and the town of Mirago behind him. The two defenders shuffled carefully to the side to make more room for Rayble's barrier, until they were all locked together.

On the one side was Rayble's grandfather.

"Grandpa!" Rayble called out as loud as he could.

His grandfather coughed harshly, but he stood fast, his stance unwavering. He was so focused that he didn't notice his grandson standing beside him.

The defenders continued to stand strong against the red clouds. However, the storm relentlessly persisted for hours. Rayble's grandfather's cough got worse. He could see the energy slowly seeping from his body until the sickness got so bad that he coughed uncontrollably to the floor, and passed out. His seed dropped to the ground and his barrier vanished, leaving the violent winds to break through to him.

"Grandpa!" Rayble cried as he shifted himself, repositioning his barrier to block the red clouds from hitting his grandfather. Rayble held his Spear seed true as he looked over his shoulder to the man that cared for and loved him his entire life. "No, please. Grandpa get up."

Rayble struggled with what to do. He wanted so badly to care for him, but doing so would leave them both vulnerable to the slicing of the storm. He had to do something though, what if... He stopped himself from thinking the worst.

"God, help us!" He cried. Rayble dropped the seed and turned his back to the red clouds. He knelt down and placed his hands on his grandfather. The winds tore at Rayble's back. He hunched himself over his grandfather to block as much as he could from it hitting the old man. It tore at his back, cutting into his flesh. Rayble yelled in pain.

"Please God, Heal my grandfather. Make him well. Lend him Your strength and vitality. He has done so much for me, please, by Your power, let me do something for him."

Just then, the winds died down, and Rayble's grandfather breathed in renewed life. The defenders cheered as the red clouds dissipated and Rayble sobbed in gratitude.

"Rayble, you're home," his grandfather said.

"Yes, I am back where I belong," replied Rayble.

-

After that battle, Rayble healed the sickness throughout Mirago and shared with his fellow defenders an understanding of the healing power of God. He worked hard every day to be the best student he could be yet also dreamed of seeing Kessa. Nonetheless, Rayble vowed to never again leave his post as defender of Mirago.