Chapter 7

When Rayble awoke, he was swallowed in darkness. His whole body ached. He recalled the events that led to his fall and hesitated to call out, afraid he'd call the Ukbir back.

He wondered how much time had passed. Was the day over? Was it just as dark and cold outside the cave as it was inside?

After a while Rayble pushed himself up, carefully, taking note where the most painful points where. An internal pain from his wrist up through his arm made the top of the list. His side and hip were scratched up badly, but not bleeding like his knee. He was banged up a little, and although uncomfortable and unfortunate, there was nothing serious to be concerned about. He thanked God for it.

Rayble inspected the walls that wrapped around him. The hole was deep enough that he couldn't jump to any ledge. One area gave him hope with rocks placed in a way for him to begin climbing, but they didn't take him high enough. Realizing that he couldn't escape on his own, he finally called out for help.

The miners were his only hope. Hopefully, they were still in the cave nearby. They knew he had gone in and he doubted they'd leave without checking on him. Especially Grozzy, Grozzy would have kept a close eye on him, if he weren't sick. Would these other men care as much? He was only thirteen and although Rayble felt old, mature, and independent, in these moments he felt young and helpless. "Please God, send someone my way." He prayed in between shouting for the miners.

It was Oggs that finally came to Rayble's rescue. He looked down into the hole, candle in hand, its light reflecting off his bald shiny head. "Is that you down there boy?"

"Yes! Please, get me out of here!" Rayble cried in relief.

"Hold tight. I'll come back with some rope." Oggs vanished before Rayble could respond. Rayble watched as the light on the walls slipped away and the darkness crept back in the hole. It felt like forever as he waited in anticipation. When Oggs finally came back, he brought the rope along with a few of his friends. They tossed the rope down and pulled Rayble out, all patting him on the back and shoulders, saying "You're alright" partly as a rhetorical question but mostly in an affirmative way.

Although he was saved, and thankful for it, he had a sadness in him knowing that his plan to surprise Kessa wasn't going to happen. The day was surely over. His grandfather would be staying up late past bedtime worried about Rayble but undoubtedly instilling severe discipline when he got home.

However, Rayble was surprised upon leaving the cave to see the sun, blaring its afternoon light hot upon the desert. He couldn't believe that what felt like an eternity in the cave was only a few hours. Was it some magic of the Caves of Aspar, or did Rayble just lose a sense of time in its darkness? With renewed hope, he clutched on to his satchel, waved farewell to the miners, and briskly made his way back to Mirago. If he hurried, he could still see Kessa and give her his surprise.

As the caves shrunk behind him and the landscape opened up, he noticed something terrible beyond them, far in the distance but approaching fast. His stomach instantly dropped at the sight of it. His worst nightmare was coming, the red clouds. Suddenly his brisk walk turned into a full sprint. His bag swung back and forth, scrubbing up and irritating his scratched side. He winced with every swing. His legs trembled and ached in every stride as his feet made hard contact with the ground. His knee felt as if it would pop. But he pushed on faster, for the red clouds gained momentum behind him.

When Rayble finally made it to Mirago, he was shocked to find the Marians gone. There were no more tanned people with their blonde hair and floating metal cubes. All hundred of them had vanished. Instead, defenders were already getting ready, rushing from their homes, and lining up at the edge of town. "Seeds out men!" One of them shouted.

Rayble stood still, hand on the strap of his satchel, the other down by his side. His eyes stared blankly at where the crowds of cube followers used to be. Was she gone? He couldn't believe it. They had just met. He mined a diamond for her. He fought an Ukbir for her. Was it all for nothing?

Baygus bumped Rayble, shaking him out of his trance. "Where you been Rayble? Come on we've got to line up."

Rayble replied, "I have to go."

"What are you talking about?" Baygus shouted over the approaching roar of the oncoming storm and the whistling of its violent winds.

"I have to go!" Rayble repeated. He ran past the defenders and deeper into town, away from the threat that was closing in.

Baygus chased after him, grabbing his arm to stop him. "Rayble! We need you, there's not enough of us as there is and the red clouds are about to hit! What could be more important?"

Rayble pushed him away. He couldn't tell him about the girl. He wouldn't understand Rayble's feelings for her. How instant they were and strong they were, it's powerful pull on him to her. That she invaded his every thought and action. No one would understand.

"I'm going to find the healer, and save our town from the sickness," Rayble replied. He turned away from his shocked friend.

"That's a lie! You never believed in those hallucinations! You're just scared." Baygus cried as he watched Rayble leave. "You selfish fool! You have a responsibility. You're jeopardizing the whole town!" Baygus shook his head and turned back to the front lines, pulling out his seed and joining the other defenders.

As Rayble ran away, he looked over his shoulder one last time at the backs of the armor laden men standing side by side and the massive thick wall of the blood-red sky that dwarfed them.