Chapter 14

Rayble wasn't sure how long he had been walking, or where he was going. It could have been hours, or minutes. The crystal trees were more numerous. They reflected the moon and the stars and sparkled around him. Kessa's body felt heavy in his arms. She was completely limp. Although his arms, back, and legs were tired, he had a strange sense of inner strength keeping him moving. The lights in the edges of the cube blurred as his eyes grew tired. He felt almost in a trance as he continued to follow it through the trees.

Then he heard the sound of running water. Water? In the desert? Where was he? He didn't know how thirsty he was until he heard it. His mouth was dry and filled with dust. Then he saw the river, flowing peacefully in the night. He stepped into it, and let the water help him hold Kessa. Blood and sand washed from her and flowed down the river. He scooped up water with one hand and sipped it from his palm. He splashed some more on his face. It was cool and felt invigorating on his tired body. He returned his hand to Kessa, wrapping her in his arms, her legs dangling in the water. Curiously, fish swam towards her bobbing legs to offer their support. Bumps of waves occasionally passed by, pushing them in a gentle sway. The light of Kessa's eyes hid behind water droplet eyelashes as Rayble effortlessly held her above water. He blinked to force tears out of his own eyes and down his shuddering jawline. The sadness pressed against him like the pressing of the never-ending current but he held onto the hope that water held miracles. He held her close. Her head rested on his chest. With eyes closed and his cheek against her forehead, he prayed for such a miracle.

One by one, flickering lights dotted the river around them. They were different than the white lights of the heavenly bodies that reflected in the crystal trees. These lights had a physical presence, dancing like fire on top of the water in warm yellow, oranges, and reds. There must have been hundreds of them drifting by. It lit up the dark. Fish swam excitedly after them. A sense of awe and wonder filled Rayble's eyes. He felt peace, love, and hope flow through his bloodstream, tingling his skin, muscles, and even bones.

She opened her eyes. "Rayble." She whispered softly.

"Oh Kessa, I'm so sorry!" Rayble cried in joy. Tears ran fluidly down his face as he buried himself into her. As he gently pulled her out of the water, he noticed her wounds had been healed. The cuts that covered her body, were gone. "Thank you, God! Thank you!"

The last of the floating lights disappeared down the river. Rayble helped Kessa back to her feet and the two stepped out of the water. Before they could talk much, the cube slowly started to leave. They held hands and followed. Rayble looked back one last time at the miraculous river, but it was gone. Vanished. Leaving only the desert and crystal trees in its place.