ᵈᵒʷⁿ

chapter seventeen

【the little ghostmaid】

There was it again; the same pesky salty liquids that kept on leaking from the corner of his eyes

There was it again; the same pesky salty liquids that kept on leaking from the corner of his eyes. He hated his self for being so weak and fragile, especially with the bruises that pestered his skin.

Anger fumed in the pit of his stomach as he can't stop his self but to turn into an emotional mess. His mind is utterly troubled with the pain throbbing all over his body. He was just not in the mood to converse with anyone, a glint of desire to push everyone away from him was starting to build in his body.

"A..Amane?" The small girl's voice echoed throughout the classroom, her footsteps faint upon approaching the boy. 

He flinched after hearing her calling as he found his self scooting more and more towards the corner. His hands clutched on the blemishes and injuries painted on his wrist before hiding it under his shirt.

"Please.. Please leave me alone."

Amane's words shuddered along with his lips. He doesn't want her to see him like this. He doesn't want to let her see how frail he is.

(Y/N) inquiringly tilted her head at him, taking more steps closer to his quivering form. She can't clearly see what he was doing since his back was facing against her. Her arms carefully extended towards his shoulder, only to be stopped with an inflamed tone coming from the boy.

"I-I said leave me alone, (Y/N)!" 

The young girl was confused. She has never witnessed him this distressed and infuriated.. it was making her worry.

She placed both of her hands on her chest before bowing at him in great apology since he seemed very upset at something. The ravenette couldn't help but to feel awful for seeing someone he cared so deeply tremble because of his inability to control his emotions.

However.. something inside him just wanted to be alone in this very moment.

"I'm.. I'm sorry, Amane.. I can just wait for you outside if you li-"

"No- I.." He abruptly cut her sentence, his golden irises looking up at her. He caught her eyes staring at him in a mix of confusion, anxiousness and care. 

His heart deeply wanted him to just drop on his knees and ask for an apology to the disoriented female on his inexplicable change of attitude. It's just that.. the agony of the maltreatment  that he received from his other batch mates earlier still scarred his mind that he never noticed the grief and torment that lingered behind the (e/c) eyes of the girl in front of him.

"..I don't want to see you anymore."

(Y/N) scratched her head in complete bewilderment as she was not able to understood why the ghost boy kept on fumbling on his thumb. 

It was a good change that those who personally knew her now has an idea on what she really is. Wearing the quarantine suit really uses a lot of her energy and she becomes easily tired by the end of the day, that's why it was really a great thing that she doesn't have to lurk around with the pesky suit. She would only wear it back once she needs to deal with people who doesn't really know her or when it's daytime.

She smiled with the feeling of the breeze grazing through the exposed skin of her neck. She never realized it but the boy was silently observing the relaxed expression on her face.

Tsukasa's voice replayed back to back on Hanako's mind.. this girl beside him does not remember their past lives anymore. This was a chance for him to build a new and closer bond with her, discarding the pain that he has planted on her when they were still alive.

(Y/N) paused on her steps as they passed through a certain classroom. She wrapped her fingers around the boy's wrist, making him stop on his walking as well.

"Do you mind if we rest for a bit? My dead feet's kinda starting to annoy me." She snickered to her own joking statement which made Hanako grin a bit. He simply nodded with her suggestion as he let her pull him inside the classroom.

The truth is, there is something about this place that she couldn't put her finger on. Everytime she enters here, she feels very relaxed almost immediately.

She plopped herself on one of the vacant chairs, the ghost boy proceeding to the open window in the process. He took off his coat and roughly placed it on the desk, leaving him in his white undershirt.

"Wow.. I guess apparitions feel the effects of global warming as well, huh?" (Y/N) childishly remarked while propping her arms on her legs. 

"Probably." He shrugged his shoulder while fixing his top before he climbed up towards the window.

The young girl found her self staring at him for some very odd reason. His actions were so peculiarly familiar to her that she swore she met someone before who has the same odd behavior.

She snapped out of her thoughts as her sight landed towards the moonlit pooled floor, a certain piece of neatly folded yet a little crumpled paper resting just a few of inches away from his coat.

The end of her dress caressed her knees as she walked towards it to see what it was. The boy was too busy observing the movement of the twinkling stars that he never noticed the approaching of the female to his belongings.

(Y/N) raised her eyebrow as the writings in the paper revealed to be some sort of foreign codes. Despite the fact that this was her first time seeing it, the scribbled numbers and letters were oddly making her mind flash a couple of hazy memories. 

Hanako was starting to get a little worried with his accompany's silence, his head tilting towards the girl only to catch her holding the stationery that he valued ever so dearly. He jumped away from his former stance on the window and immediately rushed towards her.

"Ah-H..Hey! (Y/N), that's mine-" He was not able to continue his sentence since the young lady was now facing him, their eyes strained on each other's sight. She carefully extended her arm and held his hand before placing the piece of paper gently on his opened palm, closing it delicately afterwards.

"I.. I know, Amane."