Chapter 3

You shot back the alcohol drowning it down your throat in a single throw. The burn it left behind was familiar and pleasant- it had been quite the chaotic day what with the dark elves attacking and the death of your queen. Your army was exhausted and pillaged but you knew this was just the beginning. Odin would want a war and for the first time in your life you agreed with the man- you couldn't let some ancient fairytales pull a stunt like that and get away with it. You didn't like war by any means but what other choice do you have- you couldn't let them take the Aether that simply wasn't the Asgardian way. No you would fight and protect the nine realms from Malekith's terror like you'd sworn you would.

Just as you were about to get up from your table to get another drink from the bar someone slid into the chair opposite to you sliding a mug of ale in front of you- Fandral.

"You surely know how to get my attention." You commented before accepting the drink from the warrior. Even though you weren't the best of friends with Lady Sif and the warrior three being the commander meant you were acquaintances.

"Let's hope I can hold it longer than it would take you to down that ale." You gave him a smirk before chugging the drink down as fast as you could, making sure to keep your eyes on him the whole time.

"And you're done." He said as soon as you set the now empty mug down on the table.

"Don't worry I'm still listening." The conversation that followed was interesting to say the least. It certainly wasn't anything you'd imagined.

"Mutiny?" You asked in a somewhat amused tone. "You're asking the commander of the Asgardian army to commit treason of the highest order?"

Fandral gave you a persistent look and you gathered he wanted you to take this seriously but how could you? Sure you were never a fan of Odin and his rule but the people of Asgard needed to stand together now more than ever. You detested Odin that goes without saying but turning your back to your people- that you couldn't do.

"(Y/N) I know you care about Asgard and you would never want the massacre that would unquestionably follow if Odin has his way." Fandral said and you could tell from his tone he thought he had you- which he might have but you weren't about to admit that.

"He's the king Fandral that's his privilege and burden to bear." You replied unbothered and insistent.

"What? To have people lay their lives down for him to feed his grief and ego." Fandral sounded bewildered but you just shrugged as if it was the way of the world- because it was.

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

He gave you an incredulous scoff and you moved your eyes to look up at him narrowing them. "I have a question." You declared folding your hands on the table and continued with his nod. "How many drinks have you had to be so openly talking to the- and I cannot stress this enough Commander of Asgard about you and your friend's little 'secret' coup if you will. You do realize I can inform the King of your plans and all of it would come crumbling down in a matter of minutes."

Fandral clenched his jaw no doubt getting annoyed with you but all you could offer was a cheeky grin to him. "Because," He said after collecting his thoughts. "I trust you to do what's best for our people. I trust you to lay your life down for our people to feed them a chance at life."

You relaxed back into the chair clearly not pleased. Letting out a sigh you weighed your options. Lead your army into battle and die for Odin or help the Odinson with the possibility of only losing your life and saving your soldiers'. Damn.

You grumbled before giving Fandral the most annoyed look you could muster up. "What do you want me to do?"