Chapter 8

It had been a couple of weeks since you had dinner with Matthew; he had made it a habit since then to accompany you on your walk from your home to the training house.

"I like spending time with you." He had said.

You agreed.

This morning was no different. He had joined you at the general spot he usually would which was just outside your neighborhood- apparently he lived in the one adjoining yours. You had never really paid much attention to him before to know that.

Only today when you reached the training house a royal servant was waiting for you, with a message from 'Odin'.

"The Allfather has some matters he wishes to discuss with you- he's expecting you in his chambers." The servant said and took his leave at once.

It was a fairly common occurrence- Loki would often call for you in the middle of the day, sometimes because he actually has to talk to you about some matter relating to the Asgardian military or the nine realms and sometimes simply because he was bored.

You wished it was the former because you hated it when he disturbed you during training. You liked training and not just because as Loki would say, it was the only time you could casually throw people around and gloat about it while expecting to be paid for it, but rather because simply put you liked your job.

You bid Matthew goodbye and made your way to the palace. The training house you trained at was technically still part of the palace but it was a separate building much like the greenhouse. You walked into the palace and to the king's chambers- it was quite the maze, the palace what with the many floors and bedrooms and ballrooms and gods know what else rooms.

You had been to the particular room you were looking for enough times to find your way to it solely on muscle memory alone though. You knocked on the door once you'd reached it and waited for 'Odin' to answer.

"You called for me, my king?" You asked in a rather bored voice as he opened the door to let you in.

"My king?" Loki or well Odin repeated your words as he closed the doors behind him. "I have to say my dear I quite like the sound of that."

You scrunched up your face at him in disgust, "You have to realize you abhorrently creepy that sounds while you're still wearing that face. Do change into your usual one before making such improper comments unless you want me to throw up."

"Are you saying you like my improper comments as long as it is my face that I have on?" he asked turning back into himself.

"I'm saying I'm less likely to puke as long as it's with Odin's face off." You replied matter-of-factly.

"So what did you call me here for?" You asked clasping your hands together.

Loki gave you an exaggeratedly offended look in return. "Since when do I, your best friend need a reason to call you up?"

"Since you started doing it in between of my job for which by the way, I get paid by the hour."

"I guess I'll just have to give you a raise then." He shrugged in response.

You scoffed, "You think you can just buy my friendship?"

He had a reply ready on the tip of his tongue.

"Depends; is it on sale?"

You couldn't stop the small grin from forming on your face. 'Is that why I'm here then?" You asked with a laugh. "Because you needed someone to entertain you?"

"Well no, actually. There is something on which I require your opinion." He said briskly before moving to his desk and looked through for something in the drawer.