o n e

"Dude, did you see Kenzie today? Damn, I don't think her skirt could get any shorter," Kian smirked, licking his lips.

"Man, you need to just bang her already," Micah commented, shutting his locker.

"Yeah if I don't mind hearing her moan Zane while feeding her the monster," Kian laughed, fake humping the empty air around him.

"Guys, seriously," Zane sighed, adjusting the collar of his uniform shirt.

"And then, we have that," Kian said, pointing to a petite figure across the hall, fighting to open her locker and apparently losing. "I mean, did she ever hear the word shower before?" he added with a chuckle.

Zane's gaze moved from his best friend to the unknown figure across from him. He watched intently as she managed to open her locker, just to have a stack of books fall atop of her. Ignoring the ruthless chuckles coming from beside him, he hurried over, picking up the books and placing them neatly in a pile.

The girl looked down at him, a piercing gaze that nearly burned through his soul. She quickly grabbed the books, tossing them into the locker and closing it with a bang. She scurried down the hall, disappearing around the corner.

"A thank you would be nice!" Zane called out before noticing a piece of notebook paper laying at his feet. Curiously, he picked it up but before having a chance to read it, the bell rang, forcing him to shove it into his back pocket. 

"Let's go before we're late," a pretty brunette smiled, grabbing his hand and pulling him inside of a classroom.

Zane took to his seat, next to the brunette, subtly watching as her skirt raised, showing off more thigh than material. Damn it Kian, he thought to himself, remembering the words said just moments before. A small giggle brought him back to reality as she winked in his direction.

"You okay?" she asked with a smirk.

"Uh, yeah," he smiled, "just thinking about the big game this Friday."

"You guys are totally going to crush them," she replied, her well manicured fingers coyly playing with a strand of her shiny hair.

"Yeah, only with you girls out there cheering us on," he winked with a smile. Her face blushed ever so slightly.

"Ahem," a voice from the front of the class echoed, "if all is well with the cutest couple of Presley Prep, I'd like to begin."

It was now Zane who was blushing. "Sir, we're not a couple."

"Yet," she coughed, again playing with her hair. A soft rumble of laughter filled the room.

"Alright, let's get started. Open your books to page 241 and begin reading," Mr. Pacer said, shaking his head as he turned to the board and began writing.

✦ ✦ ✦

"Ugh, where is that paper?" she groaned, digging through her bag. "It has to be somewhere." Her eyes diligently scanned through every paper and folder, but to no prevail was it there. She felt the gentle vibration of her phone against her leg as she dropped the bag beside her.

"Hello?"

"Sweetie, I'm out front. Did I miss you?"

"No, I'll be right out." She groaned of frustration, picking up her belongings and scurrying outside. As she walked head down to her mother's awaiting car, the sounds of mockery and laughter swirled around her like a nightmare feeding on her demons.

"How was your day?" her mother asked, a bright smile formed perfectly on her ruby red lips.

"Fine."

"Well, I thought about ordering pizza for dinner? Does that sound good peach?"

"It sounds fine."

A small sigh escaped her mother's lips before she placed the car in drive and sped off.