t h i r t e e n

"So what do you say?"

Sophia looked at him strangely, "say to what?"

"My offer," he grinned, putting her books back into her locker.

"What offer?"

"My, so quick to forget. Im referring to my question last night."

Oh, that question.

Sophia simply shrugged, shifting her bag onto her shoulder. "I don't think so," she finally answered, turning on her heel.

"No?"

She shook her head no and began walking down the hall.

"Why not?" He asked, taking his spot next to her. "You don't want to go to your own senior prom?"

"It's not really my thing," she mumbled.

"It's not really my thing either, but I would love to go with you."

She stopped in her tracks, turning to look him in the eye. "Listen, it's been really nice having a friend like you. But I think it's time we both see the reality here - we're from two different worlds. And I think we should just stop playing pretend."

He blinked, "stop playing pretend?"

She nodded over to Kian, Micah, and Kenzie who were just standing there, staring at the them. "You belong in their world, and I think it's time you go back."

"I don't get it?" He whispered. "I like you Sophia. I like spending time with you. I like when you act like you're ignoring me, when really I see the smile you try to hide. I like just being next to you, listening to nothing but the world around us. I don't want to stop getting to know you-"

"Good-bye Zane."

And with that, she walked away leaving him completely dumbfounded in his spot.

✦ ✦ ✦

-Unknown number
Can you explain to me what happened?

-Unknown number
Please just talk to me. What did I do wrong?

-Unknown number
Sophia?

-Unknown number
I won't stop until you talk to me

-Unknown number
I can literally do this all night if I have to

-Unknown number
Sophia?

-Unknown number
I don't get it? I don't get why you're doing this?

-Unknown number
This sucks

-Unknown number
This really fucking sucks

-Unknown number
Fine. If this is really what you want, fine.

-Unknown number
But just know, this is definitely NOT what I want

-Unknown number
I'm sorry?

-Unknown number
Whatever

-Unknown number
I'm done.

The messages finally stopped flowing in around 2:13 am. She knew because she had been reading each and every one of them. And with each message, another string of tears trickled down her cheeks.

Stupid nobody she thought to herself. She threw the covers off of her body and sat up. Anger soon began replacing the pain she felt. She dug her nails into her arm, biting hard on her lip until the taste of metal enveloped her mouth. She slipped into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her.

✦ ✦ ✦

She watched from a distance as he took his rightful place back in the circle he ran. It was as if the last two and a half months never even happened.

And that's the way it should have always been.

She went back to being the lone wolf, a nobody. And he went back to being the alpha, a somebody.

"I knew it wouldn't last," his breath swept over her ear, "he's back where he belongs. With his queen by his side. You wanna know what you are? You're just a little toy, a little nobody to play with, to see how far you would bend before breaking. To really see if you're as easy as they say."

They say sticks and stones may break you, but words will never hurt you. That is a lie, a simple lie. Because it is those words that can literally kill a person. Especially if they are weak- weak like Sophia Layne.