f o u r

The loud chants, echoing in the stadium, and the bright lights illuminating the stands, stirred an eruption of goosebumps over his body. Zane lived for these moments. He took one last breath before sliding his helmet on and jumping up and down in place.

"And now, let's hear it for our very own Presley Prep Tigers!" The announcer's voice rumbled over the sounds of hundreds of fans. The cheerleaders took their place along the track, chanting away as the football team ripped through the banner and onto the field. Zane was leading the pack, his game face strong as they geared up for the biggest game of the year.

"Alright boys, let's do this!" He yelled, thumping each teammate on the helmet. "Let's win this thing! Tonight is OUR night!"

And with that, the starting players ran to the field, taking their places. Their moment was here, and for the seniors, their final moment had just begun. Zane could feel his heart beating furiously in his chest. This was it, this was his moment. He knew it, he knew all eyes were in him. Specifically the eyes of the two well known recruiters sitting right below the press box. Now was the time. All the years of hard work, late night practices, pure dedication lead to this moment. The pressure was on. But he was ready. Bring. It. On. he thought to himself as he picked up the ball and threw it as if his life depended on it.

"And there we have it folks, the Tigers win again! Another undefeated season with a score of 28-7. Let's hear it one more time! Goooooooooo Tigers!"

The crowd was in a pure frenzy as the team jumped around the field, pouring the final jug of water all over poor Coach Ryan. The cheerleaders screamed and bounced around each other. Zane pauses a moment amid the chaos around him. He threw his helmet onto the field, his eyes taking it all in for one final time.

He did it.

✦ ✦ ✦

"Peach?"

Her eyes squinted open, the rays of sun blinding her as her mother opened the blinds. "Mom," she groaned, tossing a pillow over her head.

"It's time to get up sweetie, I made you breakfast."

"What time is it?"

"Just a little past 8 peach," her mother said, tossing the pillow aside and leaving a soft kiss atop of her head. "We're going somewhere special today."

"Where?"

"Well, Frank told me all about these waterfalls, just a few hours north of here, so I thought maybe -"

"No," Sophia stayed firmly. "I'm not going anywhere with him."

"Sophia," her mother's tone was a little more harsh, "you are going. We all are going. So get up and get ready."

And with that, her mother disappeared from the room, closing the door firmly behind her. She tiptoed over to the door and pressed her ear against the door. She heard his voice, and the light giggle of her little voice. Sarah was here. She opened the door and ran down the stairs, stopping at the landing.

There she was, her light blonde hair bouncing around in two pigtails. He rosy little cheeks all flushed from the giggles escaping her round little mouth.

"Sarah," she all but whispered.

The little girl's head swiftly turned and a bright smile broke upon her face. "Sophia!" she squealed, running over to where she stood. "Hold me, hold me!" she chanted, bouncing up and down with arms in the air. As demanded, Sophia picked her up, cradling her in her arms. She breathed in the scent of strawberry radiating from her little head.

"Let me quickly get ready," she whispered, placing the little girl down, "and then we can play."