f o u r t e e n

"Sophia, tell me, why did your mother find this in your drawer?" Dr. Myles held up a baggie containing a single silver blade.

She just looked at him, and back to the window.

"Sophia," his commanding voice boomed a little louder than normal, "Sophia, I need you to tell me wh-"

"To shave my legs."

He stifled in a fake chuckle, "Sophia please, do not play me for a fool."

She turned back to his stare, "I'm ready to go."

"We still have 48 minutes left."

"I have nothing more to say."

"Let me see your wrist, Sophia."

Her hand automatically held her left wrist. Her fingers delicately tracing the smoothness of the black ribbon.

"Sophia, please, let me see y-"

"I haven't used it. Not for 6 months, 2 weeks, and 3 days," she robotically said, maintaining focus out that same window. "I've thought about it, at least a hundred times a day. I've even touched it, ran my finger across its sleek edge. But I haven't removed it from that drawer. And I would like it back please." With that, she turned her head, staring blankly into Dr. Myles crinkled eyes. "Please."

✦ ✦ ✦

"Sophia, please, just talk to me," her mother pleaded as Sophia banged her head against the other side of the door. "Please sweetheart, I'm just worried about you. You haven't been eating much and I never see that boy Zane around anymore and -"

"Just stop! Stop talking!" Sophia screamed. There was one last bang and then silence. Neither said another word.

Ten minutes passed.

Twenty minutes passed.

An hour passed.

Finally, Sophia drug herself away from the door and fell desperately onto her bed. Her cheeks were tear stained and raw, her eyes now completely dry of any emotion. She curled up into a ball, and slowly began rocking back and forth. All she could see was that single silver blade. It was calling her name, taunting her, begging her for a taste.

She didn't realize she fell asleep until the distant ping of her phone startled her eyes open. She looked at the glowing red numbers from her side table.

2:54 a.m.

-Unknown number
Hey ..

-Unknown number
I'm sure you're probably sleeping, but I just can't get you out of my head. Like literally, you've been on my mind for the past 9 days. Yup, 9 days since you pretty much dumped me. Well, like a friend anyways.

-Unknown number
Listen, I'm sorry. I don't really know what I did, but I'm sorry.

-Unknown number
Prom is next week. Kenzie somehow manipulated me into asking her to go. Shoot me now.

-Unknown number
I wouldn't hate it as much if you were my date ...

-Unknown number
Sleep well, Sophia