f i v e

"Bro, I just can't stop reliving that night! Dude we sucker punched the whole team!" Kian gleamed, slamming his locker shut.

"Yeah, we f'd them up," Micah joined in. "Did you hear anything from the scouts?"

"Not yet. My dad says they typically make you sweat a few days before they contact you," Zane answered with a smile. "But I'm still stoked and pretty sure I'm in."

"You're definitely in," Micah agreed. "They'd be crazy not to offer you a full ride."

The three laughed as the bell rang noisily in the hall. As they dispersed, Zane noticed her, struggling once again with her locker.

"You know, you could always ask for a new lock," he offered, yanking at the stubborn thing.

She looked at him before shoving him aside. "I got it," she murmured, continuing to struggle.

He sighed, leaning against a neighboring locker. "If you say so .. but you know, you're gonna be late if you don't let me help you." He inched closer, slowly putting his hand on hers. "So just let me help you."

She shrugged his hand off and stepped back, allowing him to assist. A few harsh yanks and the lock dropped. "Ta da!" He smirked, opening the locker up. She glanced at him, grabbing a book and slamming the locker shut. She left the lock on the ground as she walked away.

He quickly grabbed his own things and raced to catch up. "Didn't your mother teach you any manners?" He smirked, nudging her gently on the shoulder. Her face remained facing forward as she picked up her pace. He matched her, "really? The silent treatment? What are we, three?"

This time she stopped, staring him right in the eye. "Thank you," she grumbled, and quickly scurried off.

"You're welcome!" he smirked, yelling down the now empty hallway.

✦ ✦ ✦

"Sophia Layne, would you please come here?" Mrs. Yoder called from her desk in the front of the room. All eyes raised from the current project they were working on. They all gazed around the room at the unfamiliar name called.

A rash of "who's that?" and "I've never heard that name before" began echoing softly in the room. From the far left corner in the very back of the room, a figure rose. She silently took her place at the teacher's desk.

"Miss Asher would like to see you in the guidance office," Mrs. Yoder informed with a smile as she jotted a few things on a hall pass. "Do you know where that is?"

She softly shook her head no, keeping her head down. "I'll show her!" A voice erupted from the middle of the room. She heard a slight shuffle before the presence of another body was next to her. She immediately knew who it was.

"Why thank you Mr. Hartley for taking initiative and helping out Miss Layne here."

The first few minutes were utter silence. Only their footsteps could be heard. Breaking the silence, Zane stopped abruptly, "so you never answered me. That paper I found, did you mean it?"

Sophia stopped momentarily, before walking on. It wasn't long before she felt his hand grip her arm, forcing her to stop and look at him. "Please, answer me, Sophia." Her name running off his tongue immediately stirred chills all over her body. She finally met his daunting eyes. "Please?" His voice was soft, in a very gentle pleading form. "Please tell me."

Her mouth opened ever so slightly, her heart was racing and she felt her hands becoming instantly clammy. He never broke his hold on her, arm and eyes. It was a very intense stare down between the two.

"Excuse me," a gruff voice interrupted, "shouldn't you two be in class?"

"Oh, I was just taking her to guidance," Zane responded easily.

"Hmph," the gruff voice replied, "isn't guidance downstairs? On the other side of the building?"

Zane chuckled softly, "why yes, I do believe you are correct." He gently pulled Sophia in the opposite direction.

Again with the silence as the two walked down the hall and to a set of stairs. Zane continued down a few steps before realizing that Sophia stood still at the top. "Why?" she finally spoke.

Zane looked up confused, "why what?"

"Why are you so interested in that piece of paper?"

He rubbed his hand over the back of his neck as he walked up the few steps, stopping beside her. "Because, Sophia, that was some pretty dark stuff and well-"

"It's none of your business," she interrupted harshly. "I think I can find the office by myself now." And with that, she jogged down the stairs, and was gone from his view.