n i n e

That "just to class" thing turned into an every class thing, lunch even. Over the course of the next week, Zane did everything in his power to break down the walls so heavily guarded within Sophia.

He would talk on and on about anything and everything, as Sophia barely said two words. That didn't stop him; in fact it pushed him even harder to get to know her.

"Can I ask you something?" Sophia said while waiting for her mother's car to pull around the circle.

"Of course Sophia, you can ask me anything."

"Be honest, why are you so nice to me?"

"Honestly?" he hummed, keeping his eyes focused on the horizon in front of him, "I like you. You're different. You're not like the rest of the girls here," at this point he turned, staring straight into her eyes. "It's rare to find someone who makes it worth all the work you put into building a friendship, like it is with you. The more you push me away, the more I want to push you back, to push through these walls you have built up so high. Your testiness makes me smile, your eyes suck me in with the speckles of blue you can only see if you look hard enough. You have a beautiful smile, at least I think because it's so rare to see it."

"Okay, that's enough," she interrupted, feeling a blush rising up her neck deep into her cheeks.

"But why, I've only just begun to scratch the surface," he replied with a grin.

"Because my mom is here," she answers, picking up her book bag and heading into the direction of the car.

"Hey Sophia!" Zane quickly called out. As Sophia turned to face him, he shouted "think I could get your number?"

A brief smile played on her lips as she shook her head and continued to the car.

"It's okay, I'll eventually get it!" he called out again.

"So, who's that?" her mother smirked as Sophia climbed into the car.

"That? That is nobody," she said, coyly hiding the smile forming on her lips by looking out the window.

Yup, he's just a nobody.

✦ ✦ ✦

"So I hear things are going well with the boy?" Dr. Myles suggested as he crossed his legs.

"The boy?"

"Ah, yes, your mother told me you've been seeing a boy."

Sophia glared at him, "I'm not seeing anyone."

"Oh, I'm sorry Sophia, I didn't mean it in any other way than as friendly measures."

"I don't have anything else to say, Dr. Myles."

And with that, she stood from her spot on the couch and left the office with 52 minutes remaining.

"Peach? I wasn't expecting you for another 45 minutes," her mother expressed while closing the book she had been reading.

"What's the point of seeing a therapist when your mother already did all the talking?"

"What are you talking about sweetheart?"

"You, mother, you told him all about some boy I'm seeing? I'm not even seeing anyone!"

"Oh, Sophia, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. I just wanna go home."

"Of course peach, of course."