Love From A Short Distance

Hightstown, New Jersey

Tiffany was bored out of her mind, due to stay at home orders, cause of Covid-19. She looked out of her window, at nothing in particular. She couldn't have friends come over and hang out. It was such a beautiful day out, so she decided to get some fresh air. She stepped outside in her red shirt, blue jean shorts, and brown sandals.

To her surprise, she saw a moving truck, moving some furniture in the yellow house, that was empty for three months. Tiffany saw a man, a woman, and a boy, that looked to be her age. She was 17. The boy looked Hispanic, with dark hair, brown eyes, and was wearing a blue shirt, black shorts, and black Nike sneakers. He looked really skinny, and showed off his biceps, when he was lifting some heavy stuff into the house. It was at that moment, that Tiffany started falling head over heels in love with him.

"He's so dreamy!" sighed Tiffany. "I wish I could go over there and introduce myself. But, this stupid social distancing rule, had to ruin everything. How can I get him to notice me?"

The Hispanic boy looked at Tiffany, and waved at her. She waved back. "Hey, handsome!" yelled Tiffany. "What is your name?"

"My name is Luis Velez! What's your name?"

"Tiffany Smith! It's such a pleasure to meet you, Luis!"

"Likewise! I just moved here from Newark! This seems like a peaceful town!"

"It sure is!"

"Tiffany, get back inside for dinner, and leave the new neighbors alone!" demanded her mother.

"I was just talking to Luis, Mom!" protested Tiffany.

"Who's Luis?" asked her father.

"My imaginary friend," lied Tiffany.

"You're too old to have imaginary friends, Tiffany!" said her mother. "Now, get back inside! I made tuna melts!"

Tiffany went back inside for dinner. She ate her tuna melt, which consisted of American cheese, tomatoes, and bacon. She drank her bottle of Cherry Coke, she got from Wawa. After she was done eating, she went back outside, but was stopped by her mother. "Where do you think you're going?" she demanded, blocking the door.

"Going back outside," said Tiffany.

"Stay right here! You got enough fresh air, already. And it's getting dark.

"Can I at least watch the sunset?"

"Fine, but after the sun goes down, come back inside!"

Tiffany went back outside, and heard the sound of guitar playing. It was coming from Luis's window. He was singing a song, he wrote in Spanish. Tiffany watched him play and sing. It was a folk song. After he was done, Luis saw Tiffany, and waved. "Have you been watching me sing, and play my guitar?" he asked.

"Yes!" said Tiffany. "That was amazing!"

"Thanks! Do you play any musical instruments?"

"I used to play piano, but I quit."

"Oh, okay!" said Luis.

"I think you're handsome!"

"And, I think you're pretty!"

"Tiffany, what are you doing?" demanded her father.

"Nothing, Dad!" lied Tiffany.

"I thought you were gonna watch the sunset?"

"I am! Such a beautiful sunset! That ball of fire is a sight to behold!"

"You can stop with the lying! You're bothering the new neighbors! Now, get back inside, and leave them alone!"

"Okay, fine!" scoffed Tiffany, rolling her eyes. "Sorry, Luis, I have to go. It was nice talking to you."

"Same here, Tiffany!" said Luis. "Bye!

"Bye." Tiffany went back inside, and saw her mother, with her hands on her hips. "You lie again, and you're grounded! Do you understand?"

"Yes," nodded Tiffany. She went back upstairs to her room, and plopped herself onto her bed, eyes glued to the ceiling, and let out a heavy sigh.

For Brenda and Skye's Monthly Contests #9 May 2020